Snails! what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samantha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Even though I checked them very carefully(obviously not well enough) live plants in newly set up tank have introduced snails. Just found about 20 tiny little things! have removed them and they are currently residing in water logged garden. I do not want to kill them if it happens agin but not sure they can survive in garden.What to do? :?

I started w. a 3 or 4 apple snails now I got like 60.......I tried to get them all out and give them to my LPS but the guy didnt want them so I let them go in a freshwater lake.

xIHaKIx said:
I started w. a 3 or 4 apple snails now I got like 60.......I tried to get them all out and give them to my LPS but the guy didnt want them so I let them go in a freshwater lake.

This is written solely as a informational tool. It is never a good idea to release non-native aquatic species into an unfamiliar habitat. The impact could have far reaching consequences, some of which may not show up for years.

HTH.

loaches!!!!!!

most of the botia species will take care of snails--eggs and babies. imo botia kubotai (angelicus loaches) are REALLY cute, and they stay small--bout 3". they like to be in groups, so get 3. i personally have 4 big clowns, 4 yoyos and 7 angelicus loaches. i can't even keep full grown apple snails in my tank! i keep finding empty shells--only the fastest survive (haha) and the ones that are smart enough to hang out at the top of the tank, where the loaches don't go.

because of the ceramic medium in the tank (Biorb) it says that it is unsuitable for bottom feeders.So I guess this rules out the loaches? Would loaches just do the sides and have the sense to keep off the really sharp medium?
Good point about not releasing unknown species into wild. Snails have conical shaped shell bit like off kilter spiral. mid to dark brown shell colouration body almost colourless, but that could be because they are so tiny.

they are MTS, loaches are good as they suck them out, 99% of other fish can't crush the shells and end up with locked jaws.

Drop a slice of zucchini, in there and let it sit for an hour or so, come back and it will be covered with snails. just pull the zucchini and snails out and do with them what you want.

Do this a few times, you will never get rid of them, but at least you now know how to control them.

I love them, they stir up my sand nicely.
HTH

Matt.

Many planted tank folks (myself included), look to keep MTS. As Matt says they burrow into the substrate providing a healthy environment for plant roots. I've found them only to come out when the lights are off.

Thanks for the info. What is the accepted way of disposal? they are quite sweet little things but I dont want loads of them.

I give them to friends.

I even put up a post on aquabid all the red ramshorns someone wants for the shipping.. i am sending out a few dozen right now ;)

I actually have a nice deal with one of the LFS I frequent. I pull out my "extras" and they give me store credit for supplies, food, etc. Nice arrangement if you can get it. :)

just throw them in the bin.
Another good point with snails is that, if you get an ammonia spike, they will climb up the sides of the tank to get to the surface.

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom