Snails Yes or No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have two ramshorn snails in my tank. My question is, are snails worth the possibility of there numbers becoming a problem? I have 3 cories that clean most of the bottom up and keep the snails more for the rocks and side of the tank to take care of the small algae deposits.

great question, I would like to know too.

I have this brown algae/gunk that grows on the sides of the tank glass.

I'm just scared that snails might bring disease.
Or if they have babies that die, I won't see them and the ammonia level will rise.

is it worth getting snails.

ramshorns being asexual, can overpopulate a tank in a short amount of time. They do a fairly decent job of removing green algae but not so much that you can leave the job entirely up to them.

They do take care of leftover food laying on the substrate, which is a good thing. They are wonderful for planted tanks because they will consume plant debris.

i vote no
cories, plecos and shrimp do an equal or better job and are more interesting and less annoying with the population booms, buts thats all one mans opinion, never liked snails, and ive had my fair share, i like coryies and plecos and am looking into shrimp for my 10 gallon that i dont wanna move my plecos into

Yeah I like pecs too but i have only a very little amount of algae which the snails seem to be doing a good job of dealing with. I decide to throw my snails in my 10gal that I havent stocked yet since there is a fair amount that they could clean up. Hey what are some algae eating fish other then plecs, plecs are nice but way more then what ill need. I have a plec in my other 30 and he probably 8inches already and became lazy and doesnt bother eating algae off the glass any more and just eats his waffers.

richiestang_78 said:
Yeah I like pecs too but i have only a very little amount of algae which the snails seem to be doing a good job of dealing with. I decide to throw my snails in my 10gal that I havent stocked yet since there is a fair amount that they could clean up. Hey what are some algae eating fish other then plecs, plecs are nice but way more then what ill need. I have a plec in my other 30 and he probably 8inches already and became lazy and doesnt bother eating algae off the glass any more and just eats his waffers.

Richie, with your stock you have in your 30 gallon, you could get away with some shrimp instead. Cherry shrimp are characters to watch, and are pretty colorful. They also do a decent job or removing algae and debris from water.

Back
Top Bottom