Snake heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are they legal to keep in a tank? Probably a dumb question like piranhas lol if so can you get a permit?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know they are all over Florida and people are encouraged to kill them..

We have them in Philadelphia where I'm from too. A few of the ponds and lakes locally have some decent sized ones you can catch while bass fishing. Fish and game here also says to kill them on the spot if you catch them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Every where will tell you to kill them if caught. They're a highly destructive, invasive species. It sucks because there are several dwarf channa species that are beautiful. Channa bleheri is one of my personal favs

Jesse

I think they are kind of cool, but they do belong in their native habitat. Maybe it's a fascination of fish you can't have like piranhas or vampire ones. Makes sense though, once everyone can have it than you have people getting rid of them in local lakes and it destroys the environment.

Yea I know that they're a very invasive species here in America. The ponds and lakes that have them have seen a big decline in native species because they're no match for the snakeheads. They are a cool looking fish for sure.

All we need is a competition of who can catch the most every couple months and that should bring it down a bit.

I wonder if they're any good to eat? That would help get people to target and kill them since here in the states if they were lol. I've never caught one myself but I hear they put up a nice fight on light tackle.

Barbecued snakehead fish

Ingredients:
1 Snakehead fish
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
jalapeno peppers (to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)

Recipe:
Lop head off fish. Chop tail off fish. Yank out entrails. Discard. Slice fish down the center. Rinse off blood and marrow. Set aside. Combine other ingredients in food processor. Brush onto fish. Allow to marinate for about 20 minutes. Place on hot grill, skin side down. Cook about seven minutes, or until raw fish look is gone. Eat, but be careful not to swallow bones.

Some guy on here a while back had these dwarf Indian snakeheads or somethimg. Stayed relatively small considering and shared same appealing characteristics as the invasive type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You shld read the book called "snake head". Great history of its invasion in the US. Theyre tasty, and easy to cook, as that super simple recipe devil posted will yield.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441372331.568745.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441372353.077675.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441372432.928942.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441372472.644287.jpg

Here is some dwarf species I have saved on my phone. They grow to around 6" or so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd love to have one but like Jesse said they are illegal all over the U.S.

The wildlife association here will pay citizens like $10 per body they bring is I think it is. I was reading it on the Fish list native to TN and extras.

Caleb

All we need is a competition of who can catch the most every couple months and that should bring it down a bit.

They have done these in Florida with lion fish. several restaurants even opened in the area that have lion fish as their signature dish. Sadly hasn't made much of a dent in the invasive population. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd love to have one but like Jesse said they are illegal all over the U.S.

The wildlife association here will pay citizens like $10 per body they bring is I think it is. I was reading it on the Fish list native to TN and extras.

Caleb

I would be fishing all day, every day, that could bring in some money

The worst part of the genus wide ban is that the ones that the ones that we really want to keep really wouldn't establish because of water temp requirements. I should have kept my rainbows a secret and held on to them.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom