Snakeheads???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdalessa01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone. As I have already said, you have all been so much help. I have not had a tank in over 7 years. Now that I am back into my passion again I noticed something. Can somebody please tell me why my LFS'S don't sell sankeheads anymore?? I know there have been national problems with hobbyists throwing them in local lakes, but have they become illegal in some states? I live in Massachusetts and my PJ'S Pet Center always had the orange-white striped ones and they told me they no longer get them.

Thanks

Importation of snakeheads into the US was banned in 2003. Since they are considered an invasive species.

Snakehead Banned

Thanks for the quick responses. I knew they were a problem but I am almost disappointed. My brother and I shared care of a 300GL tank at one time at my father's basement. It lived well with our two tiger oscar's and it was an absolute animal. Now I live in a 1 bedroom 6th floor apt. with a 20 Gl Tiger Barb tank and I can't believe I can never have one again!

could you go to a lake that has some and catch a wild one? i wonder what the laws are surrounding that, you would be "helping" to control the population after all

Catch One?

Sounds like a good idea, however I dont know of any where even remotely close that has a snakehead population. Plus, they will not be orange and white, and would probably be a bad idea after being in a pond. What do you think?

I think its because people get them and they get so massive that they turn around and let them loose in ponds and lakes and they eat the other fish, plus they can survive in pretty much nothing, so they find homes in the worst of enviorments, its sad really, its a really beuatiful creature

As stated, banned from import to the USA and any interstate transport within the USA.....as well, they have been banned from possession/sale in something like 35 states now...which is why you have not seen any recently.

Considering that they grow to 3', and are swimming appetites from the day they hatch, they never were a good candidate for most aquariums. I heard sad stories of several naive people who bought baby snakeheads for their community tank, (though I felt sorry for the fish, not the people.) There are plenty of other fish; I don't personally see that one as any great loss for the hobby.
Several HUNDRED young snakeheads were caught within several hours in a tributary stream that empties into the Potomac river last year. The DNR is concerned with the impact on the native fish population, particularly since they are an apex predator, and obviously breed very successfully.

tdalessa01...

The "orange-white striped ones" that you used to get were probably baby Channa micropeltes...sometimes called the 'Giant Snakehead'. When they are babies they are very attractively striped but they lose that pattern as they mature and eventually end up looking like this:

Snakehead_1251_87.jpg
snakeheadgiant22inhead.jpg

What Toirtis wrote about snakeheads is absolutely correct. They cannot be imported into the United States, cannot be transported across state lines, and a majority of states have banned them completely.

-Joe

Oh my god. I don't think I would want to have that in my tank while I am cleaning. Mine did not look that mean.

Back
Top Bottom