Snowflake Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is purely out of curiosity (and a slight bit of concern). An anonymous friend has what she claims is a Snowflake Eel that she bought from the pet store... they even labelled it as such. Problem is, she has a freshwater tank. Aren't Snowflake Eels saltwater species? I think it's a 55 gallon tank with a black ghost knife, a clown knife, an oscar and some other "oddball" fish. Here are two pictures of the eel she has; any ID help appreciated :/

http://i52.tinypic.com/244e1qp.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/33v16dw.jpg

Not a snowflake eel... Not sure what it is, but defiantly not a snowflake.

Yeah, I'm thinking Gymnothorax tile... which are brackish, right? Her tank is pure freshwater... she said the first one died on her, and then she went right back and got a new one. :/

Definately not a peacock eel!!!(I have a thread about my boyfriend bringing me home one after the petstore told him it was a peacock) its a freshwater moray eel(Gymnothorax tile) they are often called snowflakes and they are brakish to full salt in some cases. The 55 is also to small for that bgk and too small for the oscar and dear god way way way way to small for a clown knife they get almost the size of that entire tank in the wild! so im pretty sure your friend doesnt care much for the health of their fish at this point. Those eels are known for even taking chunks out of big tangs in sw and it also gets too large for that 55.

It might not be the case that she doesnt care for them but more the case she is being told the wrong information from the LPS... Unless she is telling lies to the pet store and saying her tank is brackish or salt lol then yeah I totally agree with you itschromesteel. Tell her to do a little bit of research before buying a fish :) makes all the difference

Yeah, I know. She's an honest person and does care for her fish - but I think they puts a little too much trust into this fish store called "Fish Doctors". Says they know what they're talking about and wouldn't lie or anything. When I told her to take lfs info with a microscopic grain of salt 99.99% of the time, she got a little offended, I guess. :/

I didn't mean she didn't care another her fish more of that she didn't necessarily have what was best for fish in mind as opposed to what is best for the tank owner. I just don't know how someone could have those fish without ever once Googling them because if she did she would immediately see the mistakes made.

I have the same eel. It's a gold flake moray eel. It's brackish but can over time acclimate to a fresh water set up. I don't recommend this. It was sold to means a fresh water fish but I found I had to move him because he was having trouble breathing and it was burning his lungs.

Also he will out grow the tank and either eat your fish or nibble at their fins. He needs proper hiding spots also. Oh and be careful they are jumpers. Mine has made a few escapes out of my tank. They are known for jumping out tanks even through a space you didn't think was possible like up where the filter sits!

Back
Top Bottom