So close yet so far fish choosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Man! I was so excited to finally reach a decision about what fish i wanted in my what I tink it is now a 45 gallon, and not a 55. I wanted a lone fish with little to no shyness. Well the Oscar was it for me. I dang near went to the LFS and would buy a baby one. But of course I had to do mucho research before I bought anything... and of course my decision is now a no-no. My tank size from what I understand is just fine for a single Oscar. My filtration would have gladly supported its piggyness. But I then learned that they loved tearing plants a new one and hate bright light. I JUST made an awesome DIY hood with two 65 wat LoAs!. Plus I have many large sword plants in that tank! When finding out this info I was so heart broken. Those Oscars look like the greatest fish, personality and all. MAN do I want one, but alas now what do I get? If you have any suggestions or know a fish similar to an oscar that would like plants and light please tell me! thanks!!!!

At this rate I may just not turn on the lghts and give away my plants but my fiance hates the oscar calling it ugly, plus she'll kill me for helping me make the hood and then finding out I didn't need them. ouchies

Hold the phone everyone! I need an opinion on this decision!!! Okay So I only wanted to manage two tanks... my 10 gallon planted tank and my 45 gallon. I was in a rut (above) because I really wanted an oscar. Well looks like my dream will get to come true! I have a 29 gallon tank at home I was going to sell off but a stroke of genius hath strucketh. I was already worried about the 45 gallon being too tall for the light to get to the plants (2X65 watt LoA power compacts). But heck as I was talkign to my fiance lamenting about not being able to get the oscar she just muttered why not have three tanks? Then it hit me.. make the 29 gallon the super lighted/planted tank and make the 45 gallon the home of my Oscar!!! Not only do I get what I want I get a bigger planted tank (instead of keeping the 10 gallon)! The lights will give more wpg and should help out my plants even more! What do you all think about this?? Thanks! Yes I know I am a psychopath... but I am a happy psychopath... for now :twisted: Muwahahahaha!

That oscar is gonna get REAL big and need more than a 45g, hope you plan on having 4 tanks pretty soon.

Hey think of the new fish you could put in the 45 gallon tank when you have 4 tanks.. It's really not all that bad situation. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom