so crayfish is on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
im thinking of starting a blue crayfish tank. it will be a 20 gallon long half water half land.this will be kind of an actual habitat. i will have a river type feature and a filter that i can make a waterfall out of on the start of the river. i will cycle the water of the tank so i can add something like white cloud minnows. the minnows will be an occasional snack for the crayfish. ill also keep some shrimp and snails in the water to keep it clean will these get eatin by the crayfish? i also need suggestions for plants. here's my list now. peacock fern, bamboo, and anubius. the land part will be sand probably or something like miracle grow organic or eco earth(for reptiles). what are some other half water half land animals that might do good in this setup if any? can anybody find a website or a post of a half water half land ecosystem type thing? would african dwarf frogs in the water and a half aquatic half land type frog work in this setup? maybe a pacman frog or pixie frog, and maybe some type of lizards like long tailed lizards or panther geckos or crocodile geckos. will lizards, frogs, shrimp, snails, and a crayfish live together peacefully? ill start this project in around a month when i move my bearded dragon to his larger setup, but im gonna plan everything first. thanks!

How many crayfish are planning on having? I wouldnt see a problem with more than one as long as its not too crowded. You might see some of your plants getting chopped down though.

i didnt know if it would be ok or not i guess i could try. maybe even start a clan bc in the wild they do live together sometimes or atleast where i live they do. maybe ill get a male and female and breed them and just let them keep their numbers down. so this is what ill do.
2-crayfish (hopefully ill pick out male and female)
3-guppys(1 male 2 females bc theyll breed so fast the crayfish wont b able to eat them in time.

a blue cray will grow too big,but another kind of cray wont.with dwarf crays youd probably have more luck,they probably wont kill each other.

alLexX said:
a blue cray will grow too big,but another kind of cray wont.with dwarf crays youd probably have more luck,they probably wont kill each other.

+1, you would need to get a bigger tank.

House the Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster in an aquarium of at least 20 gallons with medium or fine grain substrate for burrowing. They are territorial towards their own kind and a larger aquarium will be needed if housing more than one lobster. To house multiple lobsters, provide at least 20 gallons per lobster and include plenty of rocks and plants as cover.

crayfish are going to eat anything they can get ahold of. And don't count on guppies to breed faster than the crayfish can eat them. Maybe with a large group of breeders, but not with just a few.

Consider maybe dwarf crays? They come in orange and blue.

5" is pretty big fora 20,my cray is about that big(not including claws)and shes getting kinda big for my tank(20 gallons,upgrading soon)

yeah he should,some crays may just massacre the fish,but if he keeps the cray well fed,the fish will last a long time.

would an african butterfly fish do well with crayfish? they stay the same size and stay at the top, but there are mixed tank requirements. its a mix between 15 20 and 30 gallons as a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom