So excited, my cycle is healthy :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
After our sweet Betta boy passed, we did a big water change in his 10g tank, dosed to 1ppm ammonia. This was last Thursday :(. 3 days later 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate.

Of course, we did this to test the bio filter and to change the water after after our sweet boy had passed. And to start to prepare the tank for our Pygmy catfish.

Dosed to 3-4 ppm ammonia after doing the above tests.

24 hrs later
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 10

12 hours after that (yesterday)
Nitrite 0

Dosed to about 3-4ppm ammonia after testing the nitrite. (Yesterday).

Today, 24 hours later
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate not quite 40ppm but almost.
Ph always seems to be about 7.6 no matter what. I don't test it very often (maybe I should).

Looks like the 10g tank can handle our 7 little Pygmy catfish now! :D

We are going to do a big water change and then tonight go catfish fishing in the 5g they are currently in :D and put them in the 10g. Yay! Or could we put them in soon after the water change? Does it really matter?

Then our female betta will join in a week or two (she's been in the 5g with them). :D. Yay!

I would say as long as the tank is "fish-ready" after you do the water change (temperature is around what you set it, no nitrogenous waste, etc) then you can put them in right after the water change.

:D

Waiting for the temp to go down (heater was at 82 and my tap water may have been a bit warm, it's hard to get it just right sometimes). And I'm going to test nitrate again just to see :) Was some gross stuff off the bubbler tube I scooped the biggest pieces out n wiped the tube w a paper towel.
Temps around 81 currently. We keep it around 77-79 normally.

Do you think we can add the betta right away too or wait a week? The bio filter seems nice and strong :)

We do have a thermometer.

The nitrates are down to 5ppm after the big water change. Maybe even less than 5! Just waiting for the red light to come on the heater so we can see what the temp is.

This is so exciting!

Well the red light did not come on in time before I had to leave for work, so, the fishes will be moved tonight :D

Edit to clarify, we do have a thermometer :)

You should get a thermometer if you don't have one. Some heaters are known to be off by a few degrees. What heater do you have?

Oh we have a thermometer for sure ;)

We have Aquenon pro 100w in the 10g. We did lots of research/reading reviews before buying a heater and are also well aware that the temp you set it to isn't always the actual temp. Actually these heaters are known for that usually based on the reviews. :)

I should have put that in the original post for clarification.

Edit:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419ajGPTdQL._SY355_.jpg

We have that one. Although the packaging I think was a little different, but it is the same one.

We can't get the catfish out. They won't cooperate and we don't want to stress them really bad. :/

Have you taken out all the decorations and drained most of the tank?

Best way to do it is to leave nowhere to hide and just enough water for the fish to swim horizontally. This is what I had to do to catch my old sinibotia longiventralis in a 26 gallon, when I needed to get a picture to identify him.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would see this made a new topic oops.

We'll try that. Thank you :). Report back soon!

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would see this made a new topic oops.

We'll try that. Thank you :). Report back soon!
I can't imagine it doesn't work. My sinibotia was a speed and maneuverability demon in a tank FULL of other fish, and I caught him in just a few minutes like that. A couple pygmy corys got NOTHING on that squirmy little guy. ;)

Good luck!

She paid no attention to them in the 5g. She doesn't like them hiding at the base of a fake plant.

Now she's pigging their food.

I hope she doesn't have to live alone I don't want to maintain two tanks.

I would give things time to settle out before you worry too much. My ram cichlids in my 20 showed spawning behavior within days of being introduced to my 20 gallon and violently rejected my (admittedly territory-oblivious) school of corydoras. They were terrorizing the poor things. A few days later they chilled out and now everybody gets along quite nicely.

Your betta and cories might just need a few days to get used to the new space and draw some new boundaries.

Oh, and if you can get ahold of one: a useful tool for these situations is a breeder net. Gives good water flow while somewhat obscuring and completely separating any problem fish. In your shoes I'd put the betta in there for a few days if she keeps being mean, let the corydoras establish themselves in peace, then put her back in.

Thanks :). She seems to have mellowed out now :) She didn't like them hiding under a fake plant. Like the dog when she finds a cat unexpectedly lol. We're keeping a watch on them though.

Thanks for the tip about the breeders net :)

Wish we had lighter colored sand now. Catfish blend in a lot.

Maybe a light colored background would help. Where do you get such a thing?

Back
Top Bottom