so, how bout them corner filters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
can anyone give me some opinions on the filters of the corners, i currently have two in my 55 gallon. just want to know if the ugly things are worth keeping there. they're supporting a dwarf cichlid aquarium

They don't seem like they could support a very large bio-load. Sort of like an undergravel filter but even less efficient? I've never heard of them before. I think if you had the money to do so it would be better in the long run to upgrade to at least an HOB. I dunno if they are doing the job they are doing the job.

would a 20 gallon aquaclear help at all in my 55. just for some extra filtration.

Every bit of filtration is good lol. Can't really go wrong. Also after looking at those pics your corner filters might be a problem with fry and later.

I wouldn't use those filters for a 55G tank. Not enough power, not enough GPH, not enough surface area for good bacteria to grow, plus they go in the tank and are ugly.

For a 55G I would run a canister filter. Eheims and Fluvals are very popular.

At a minimum, I would upgrade to some HOB filters. Probably 2 of them on a 55G would be good.

almost like sponge filters really old school though.... my personal favorite is canister filters. they are a bit more pricey then hobs. i would look at a ac110 for the tank vs just a ac20.

are the pics linked what you have in your tank? i know they make different sized ones that can filter even large tanks.

thanks for your replys, i think im going to stick with my filtration system for now and see how everything goes.

i think it's wise. you have an HOB plus two corner filters. awesome. stick with what works, and beyond that, more filtration is better filtration. just because it's old skool, doesn't mean it's outta the game.

any and every extra filter or bubbler is good for an aquarium. and will help. im not very experienced with these but remember having one on a goldfish setup in my old 10g. it worked fine. if i were you i would keep them and go get a 30g HOB filter to help with the bio load.

i have an aqua clear 600 tho?! that is cycling my tank 2 times an hour and the two corner filters combined are cycling the tank about 2.5 times an hour, so thats four times an hour ( i think im wrong about the 600, it may be more) and i just added the 20 gal filter. i thnk it'll work?

Yeah I missed that the first time. You should have plenty of filtration. I was thinking u were liking at these as a primary source of filtration. As supplemental, they should be just fine.

I used those when young and had 10 gallon tanks, they were actually better than the UGF because they were easier to clean. I don't think 2 on a 55 would be enough.

its just getting any extra's on the bottom, they wont clog like the undergravel, and they have to HOB's to backem up. im learning more about this stuff as i go along. i should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom