So I bought a clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
and I've had it probably for 3 weeks and haven't really done much to it. I like it and its cool BUT do I feed the **** thing or will it just filter feed throughout the day from left over flakes and pellets my fish don't eat?

And when do I know that its dead?

Sometimes they die in the substrate and you don't know until things get nasty...

What size tank is it in? Is it heavily planted? Chances are you should supplement. Good options for filter feeding inverts are OSI micro food, and liquid phyto/zooplankton.

So, what's it like so far? Do you see it much?

Yeah its ALWAYS been on the surface, never buried. I have sand and its a 20g high

A pic would be cool! It won't eat flakes or pellets, only fine foods like the microorganisms in the water. You can supplement like siva said. They usually don't do well in smaller tanks, especially without supplements.

--Adeeb

Mine survived three months in the tank. Hardly ever moved. Never buried itself. The only time mine opened was when it was dead. Definitely was not an exciting creature to keep

2qs1f13.png

Are you seeing it open at all? Maybe when the lights are out?

Hmm, you should try flicking on the light after it's been off for a while and seeing if it's open. It must be opening at some point to filter.

argh, I can't find a good pic of it. They open up pretty good though.

haha I know right, but I've heard from others they see them open up when the lights are out!

Back
Top Bottom