so i have this extra 10 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
wife wanted an aquatic turtle... got one got a 10 gal set it all up... didnt want the turtle was too much work... so turtle back to pet store... we got a greek tortoise named turbo... everything good... but turbo needed a 20 gal. long tank... so now i have this extra 10 gal sitting around... im getting a 150 gal in a few months and im wondering if i can get the fish for that tank now and let them grow a lil then transfer them... my plan is 2 oscars, 6 tinfoil barbs, and 1 banded leporinus... would i be insane to get these 9 fish as juvies and grow them for awhile in the 10 gal and then move them in a few months?... opinions please...

:silly:

Grab this, and you've got a Quarantine tank for your 150. So grabing a few of those fish (small ones) and letting them grow for a couple weeks/ a month would be perfect.

wife wanted an aquatic turtle... got one got a 10 gal set it all up... didnt want the turtle was too much work... so turtle back to pet store... we got a greek tortoise named turbo... everything good... but turbo needed a 20 gal. long tank... so now i have this extra 10 gal sitting around... im getting a 150 gal in a few months and im wondering if i can get the fish for that tank now and let them grow a lil then transfer them... my plan is 2 oscars, 6 tinfoil barbs, and 1 banded leporinus... would i be insane to get these 9 fish as juvies and grow them for awhile in the 10 gal and then move them in a few months?... opinions please...

:silly:
yes I would say insane LOL. those are 9 very large fish being cramped in a very, very small tank. Even if you got them at a very young age you would have many problems, have a very tough time maintaining proper water parameters and then their is always the possibility that you dont get your new 150 when planned, then you have these 9 fish that desperately need a bigger home. Not to mention the barbs can be rather aggressive and in a tank that small, no matter how small they are they would/could just stress out the other fish. I say either set up the 10 with something like a small school fish of fish or a betta and have it planted, OR set it up as a quarantine ;)
HTH

oh im getting it when planned... i have the cash in an envelope at home and we're breaking ground on the new house next week... as soon as its done ill get the 150 within a matter of days... but now that i think about it... youre probably right... i am insane... just way too excited hahaha

i have a 40 gal whisper submersible filter with it for the turtle... so i have plenty of filtration for the tank... maybe ill just keep it as a QT tank and try to be patient... its so hard tho... i want my big tank NOW!!!

Back
Top Bottom