So I left my fish unfed while I was away on vacation for 8 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
...and they all lived! I have to admit I was nervous about that, but some people online said it would be alright. Since I have discus and GBR's, which are sensitive, I wasn't sure.

Arrived home with quite a bit of nervousness...I wouldn't have been surprised if all were dead. Yet, I counted one by one and they all survived. I fed them right away and will do a water change today.

So this is just posted to let you know that it is indeed alright to leave fish without food and that it's probably better to not feed than to feed and pollute the water.

I'm flying out for to Houston for my 8th acl surgery in the morning and leaving 9 tanks running with my 16 year old son and mother who don't know anything about fish. I plastered every tank with sticky notes, written directions, and food measured for each feeding, so I hope my results are as good as yours.

I'm flying out for to Houston for my 8th acl surgery in the morning and leaving 9 tanks running with my 16 year old son and mother who don't know anything about fish. I plastered every tank with sticky notes, written directions, and food measured for each feeding, so I hope my results are as good as yours.

Wow thats harsh. Good luck with the surgery

I just went away for 4 days and put in one small weekend feeder and quite a few peas. They're the kind that slowly release food into the tank rather than to be picked off.

All fish were fine when I got back. I wouldn't exactly go by your strategy of not feeding them and hoping they're not dead, I kinda value the fish in my tank.

I just went away for 4 days and put in one small weekend feeder and quite a few peas. They're the kind that slowly release food into the tank rather than to be picked off.

All fish were fine when I got back. I wouldn't exactly go by your strategy of not feeding them and hoping they're not dead, I kinda value the fish in my tank.

In nature, fish are not hand fed their food so they have to actually catch or find their food. Sometimes they can go extended periods of time without eating so it is not a death sentence if you don't feed your fish for little over a week.

Viper said:
In nature, fish are not hand fed their food so they have to actually catch or find their food. Sometimes they can go extended periods of time without eating so it is not a death sentence if you don't feed your fish for little over a week.

+1

Bingo. I value my fish enough NOT to feed them so they don't die of ammonia poisoning. I don't know anybody who can come over and properly do water changes. So between fasting and being poisoned...I'll go ahead and choose the former.

Well hardier fish yes, would probably be fine but, you were gone 50% less time. Twice the time means twice the opportunity for water to be fouled. However it also means twice the hunger. You have to imagine having those same fish in your tank and weighing the options. IMHO hiring someone to come feed your fish is a much better option than fasting or vacation feeders.

Thanks for the update Nodak! I was especially concerned about the discus. The others I would have had no issues with leaving for 7-8 days. Glad all worked out for you. Also glad you didn't go and put some of those weekend feeders in to kill your fish!

I'm glad to hear all went well for you Nodak!

I, too, went away for an extended period of time, but it was 12 days total. Instead of trying to leave them unfed for that long, I bought an automatic feeder that worked out quite well, I'll post a thread about it in a separate thread later.

I set it to feed them every other day with a couple of back-to-back daily feedings. When I returned, water parameters were what I would expect for a tank that hadn't had a water change in over a week and a half: 0ppm ammonia/nitrItes, 40ppm nitrAtes.

No fish lost, but the majority of my ghost shrimp are gone (9 down to 3). I'm thinking that since my two female bettas were always slower to eat than my other fish (black neons, five banded barbs), they probably had a few ghostly snacks.

Back
Top Bottom