So I look for jobs involving fishkeeping....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
And I came across this one...

"Individual needed to care for a zebrafish facility during weekend hours. Responsibilities include feeding, cleaning, basic system maintenance and assesment of water chemistries for a population of adult and larval fish.

Requirements:
Ideal candidate will posess mature work habits, be task and detail oriented , and have the ability to work independently. Experience working with fish systems and college level chemistry and biology coursework preferred."

This is for research located within a hospital. It makes me really curious about what goes on in there. I think I'll apply just to find out.

If you had a college education in chemistry and biology would you really want to get a job cleaning fish tanks?

Who are they kidding?

Just a hard working person with a background in fishkeeping should be good for that job.

Well I know that.
Maybe a job like that to help pay your way in college would be cool but not If you have a college degree.

I couldn't see going to college for four years and then graduate and work in a fish store...lol

I think it would be a lot of fun and provide a lot of learning to work with breeders. If you didn't need a lot of money it'd be a fun way to learn about all the different varieties of fish and work with animals you love! :]

If I was looking for work I would not turn down a job like that, if the $ was right, but it may involve testing, which I would not like. Fish are not normally used for testing of medication/products used for humans, but who knows. It may be a breeding project to develop a new fish, like what happened with the zebra glofish.

Sati, I would check it out.
I would guess that the job is either a veterinary technician or a research assistant in the hospital's Research Animal Care Facility. A high school diploma and some experience working with animals is generally all that is required. As Oscarbreeder suggested, most people who take this kind of job are either in college or applying to college. In NYC, the pay for these kinds of positions is about $8-10/hr.

Zebrafish is a popular research organism because it is easy to breed and its internal organs are visible during development. In addition, the zebrafish genome - its molecular blueprint - has been completely decoded. Most zebrafish research involves inserting foreign genes into the embryo and seeing where and when they are expressed during development. As TankGirl said, this is why the glofish were originally developed. Some research focuses on the developmental effects of mutagens, carcinogens, and teratogens (substances that cause human birth defects and cancer). If you are squeamish about using animals in these kinds of experiments, beware. From the job description, it is doubtful that you would actually be performing any of the experiments. However, if you have a curious mind, there would be ample opportunities to learn and interact with the scientists.

Hope this helps!

They're just looking for someone who's taken Chem and Bio 101...one of which is mandatory for any 4 year college degree, and most 2 year degrees.

And glo-fish weren't a breeding project...they were genetically engineered at the DNA level. Danios and jellyfish can't breed ;)

QTOFFER said:
Sati, I would check it out.
I would guess that the job is either a veterinary technician or a research assistant in the hospital's Research Animal Care Facility. A high school diploma and some experience working with animals is generally all that is required. As Oscarbreeder suggested, most people who take this kind of job are either in college or applying to college. In NYC, the pay for these kinds of positions is about $8-10/hr.

Zebrafish is a popular research organism because it is easy to breed and its internal organs are visible during development. In addition, the zebrafish genome - its molecular blueprint - has been completely decoded. Most zebrafish research involves inserting foreign genes into the embryo and seeing where and when they are expressed during development. As TankGirl said, this is why the glofish were originally developed. Some research focuses on the developmental effects of mutagens, carcinogens, and teratogens (substances that cause human birth defects and cancer). If you are squeamish about using animals in these kinds of experiments, beware. From the job description, it is doubtful that you would actually be performing any of the experiments. However, if you have a curious mind, there would be ample opportunities to learn and interact with the scientists.

Hope this helps!

Scientist use Zebra fish to study genes and somehow they relate to human genes very closley (just saw a video on it in Bio but I wasn't paying too much attention). They are not abused or anything. Other then the fact they take some fry put them in a petri dish of water and look at them under a microscope then throw them back in a tank.

oscarbreeder said:
I couldn't see going to college for four years and then graduate and work in a fish store...lol

I plan on going to school for much longer then that and working in a fish store! heh well owning it... :)

I also think that job would be fun! I am trying to get a job (from a friend of my parents) taking care of koi ponds. I think it will be fun, but not forever!

Sati said:
And I came across this one...

"Individual needed to care for a zebrafish facility during weekend hours. Responsibilities include feeding, cleaning, basic system maintenance and assesment of water chemistries for a population of adult and larval fish.

Requirements:
Ideal candidate will posess mature work habits, be task and detail oriented , and have the ability to work independently. Experience working with fish systems and college level chemistry and biology coursework preferred."

This is for research located within a hospital. It makes me really curious about what goes on in there. I think I'll apply just to find out.

Where did you find this? Im in HS and have had biology classes...*slides on chemistry* I'll have that next year...i'd like a job like this.

Back
Top Bottom