Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to courtnee
So I screwed up and my fish told me off

I was doing my 50% PWC on the 55gl tank this evening like I do every week. I have a Python and everything goes well.

I took out 50% of the water, cleaned off the algae from the glass, cleaned up some plastic plants and went to fill the tank.

I felt the water and it seemed close. My tank sits at 80-81F ALL the time. lol I check the temp after filling and I am always within a degree and all is well.

Tonight I felt it and as I said it by feel was what I felt the same. I fill the tank and run over and check the temp and it is not moving. I finish it up, take the Python out and put the lids back on.

I am standing next to the tank at my kitchen sink taking the Python off and hear noises coming from my tank. I look over and my 6" Four-Line Pictus catfish (Pranzer, we got him for Christmas) is going crazy in the tank, head butting into the gravel and swimming all over. I instantly freak out, something is wrong cause Pranzer once in a blue moon will come out and swim a few laps but spends most of his time while the lights are on hiding. Very mellow fish.

He rushes into a log across the other side of the tank. Comes out and knocks over a decoration. My daughter hears this going on and comes over as he is going back into a log. We are both standing on the side of the tank looking into the log at Pranzer, I look and the temp is down to 75F!!!!!!!

Pranzer comes rushing out of the log right in front of us staring at us and his mouth is going really fast (we call it talking when they move their mouth) and he staring at us moving his mouth fast and my daugther says "Mom! Pranzer is upset and telling you off!"

He rushes back into the log and is stressing.

I start to stress.

The snail (gold ball size falls off the plant he is hanging on and goes into his shell.

The tetra could care less.

The other pictus cats seem fine.

5 degree change is to much. Since I just finishes I quick sucked out some water and put in 5 gallons of a little warmer water and got it back to 77F. I figured the heater could catch up the rest.

The tank is close to back where it should be, the snail has been out since. The other pictus are fine. The tetra through it all didnt care at all.

Pranzer was bent funny in the log sitting in an odd position. He stopped doing that and is not in his usual spot. He seems to have calmed down.

I am going to have to be more careful! I am just in shock at how fast Pranzer reacted. He freaked out. I guess he is all about the stability and his water being the same LOL No one else showed and distress over it. Except the snail went in his shell but no other fish acted odd. The tetra were them usual selves and the other four-line pictus stayed in his hiding spot. The two spotted pictus stayed where they were and one came out and checked things out as usual and went back into the log.

Hope he is okay. I am about ready to shut the lights off and throw in a few sinking pellets for them to eat.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Any updates this morning on how pranzer is doing?

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to courtnee
He is still alive... just hiding, but that is normal for him. Will have to see this evening how he acts.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It's funny how Pranzer and the snail reacted and the others didn't seem to be affected, but that's probably typical - some fish are more sensitive in certain situations than others. I hope everything goes well tonight and Pranzer settles into his usual routine (and doesn't talk back anymore!)

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Wow, talk about a temp sensitive fish! Acutally, notwithstanding the reactions, it's a good thing that they were able to "alert" you to the problem. Chances are that without intervention, the temp could have dropped another degree or so.

I learned a similar thing awhile back. Seems that if anyone uses hot water while I'm doing my PWC will drop the water temp going into the tank. Since then, I constantly check the temp of the water going into the tank and since I'm changing 50% as you do, think about what can happen in say, three minutes and you would not even know until after you checked.

Kudos to Pranzer!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's evening. How is our little thermometer?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hehehehehee Nope, I totally understand. I got attached to my snails like that too. I have a female betta who comes up to me all the time when I sit by the tank. I love it. Especially since she used to do it in her little 1gallon, and now she gets to rule to 10g. (I put her and her friend in the 46g but they did not like it one bit. Then her friend disappeared, no trace. I moved her into the 10g and she is very happy there.

Glad to hear he is doing fine. And you too. Marveling at the beauty of our fish, is one reason we have them. My thoughts anyway.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

That's a nice video! Pretty tank! Pranzer definitely looks like he's the center of attention!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

Is he still alive?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com