So I screwed up and my fish told me off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing my 50% PWC on the 55gl tank this evening like I do every week. I have a Python and everything goes well.

I took out 50% of the water, cleaned off the algae from the glass, cleaned up some plastic plants and went to fill the tank.

I felt the water and it seemed close. My tank sits at 80-81F ALL the time. lol I check the temp after filling and I am always within a degree and all is well.

Tonight I felt it and as I said it by feel was what I felt the same. I fill the tank and run over and check the temp and it is not moving. I finish it up, take the Python out and put the lids back on.

I am standing next to the tank at my kitchen sink taking the Python off and hear noises coming from my tank. I look over and my 6" Four-Line Pictus catfish (Pranzer, we got him for Christmas) is going crazy in the tank, head butting into the gravel and swimming all over. I instantly freak out, something is wrong cause Pranzer once in a blue moon will come out and swim a few laps but spends most of his time while the lights are on hiding. Very mellow fish.

He rushes into a log across the other side of the tank. Comes out and knocks over a decoration. My daughter hears this going on and comes over as he is going back into a log. We are both standing on the side of the tank looking into the log at Pranzer, I look and the temp is down to 75F!!!!!!!

Pranzer comes rushing out of the log right in front of us staring at us and his mouth is going really fast (we call it talking when they move their mouth) and he staring at us moving his mouth fast and my daugther says "Mom! Pranzer is upset and telling you off!"

He rushes back into the log and is stressing.

I start to stress.

The snail (gold ball size falls off the plant he is hanging on and goes into his shell.

The tetra could care less.

The other pictus cats seem fine.

5 degree change is to much. Since I just finishes I quick sucked out some water and put in 5 gallons of a little warmer water and got it back to 77F. I figured the heater could catch up the rest.

The tank is close to back where it should be, the snail has been out since. The other pictus are fine. The tetra through it all didnt care at all.

Pranzer was bent funny in the log sitting in an odd position. He stopped doing that and is not in his usual spot. He seems to have calmed down.

I am going to have to be more careful! I am just in shock at how fast Pranzer reacted. He freaked out. I guess he is all about the stability and his water being the same LOL No one else showed and distress over it. Except the snail went in his shell but no other fish acted odd. The tetra were them usual selves and the other four-line pictus stayed in his hiding spot. The two spotted pictus stayed where they were and one came out and checked things out as usual and went back into the log.

Hope he is okay. I am about ready to shut the lights off and throw in a few sinking pellets for them to eat.

It's funny how Pranzer and the snail reacted and the others didn't seem to be affected, but that's probably typical - some fish are more sensitive in certain situations than others. I hope everything goes well tonight and Pranzer settles into his usual routine (and doesn't talk back anymore!)

Wow, talk about a temp sensitive fish! :shock: Acutally, notwithstanding the reactions, it's a good thing that they were able to "alert" you to the problem. Chances are that without intervention, the temp could have dropped another degree or so.

I learned a similar thing awhile back. Seems that if anyone uses hot water while I'm doing my PWC will drop the water temp going into the tank. Since then, I constantly check the temp of the water going into the tank and since I'm changing 50% as you do, think about what can happen in say, three minutes and you would not even know until after you checked. :(

Kudos to Pranzer!

For those of you that want to meet Pranzer here is a short video of him out swimming. http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/courtneem/?action=view&current=fourlinepranzer.flv

Sorry I had to work. Right before lights out Pranzer was sitting in the wrecked ship (his spot) and I threw in a pellet down by him. He usually comes out and grabs it. My daughter and I sat and watched hoping he would come out as usual and get it kicking the serpae tetra out of his way. His whiskers would flare up and scare off the tetra and he finally got off his duff and came out and got it and took off fast across the tank like he usually does. So normal behavior for him.

I got home from work this morning, turned on the lights and did headcount..... cant find pranzer. Tank boss the other four-line pictus has a full belly sitting in her spot hiding under a skull decoration. She came out and saw me and acted like she saw a fish ghost or something. She went back in so fast LOL It was great because I dont get to see Tank Boss much. She never comes out it seems.

More searching for Pranzer..... finally sit down and rest a few as I have been on my feet for over 12hrs. Figure Ill check back in a few.. Threw in a pellet, because when there is a pellet he will come and get it. I usually dont throw pellets in the morning, just in the evening with the lights off for the pictus cats.

Ten minutes later.... Finally find him under his wrecked ship. He is wedged way back in there. I start to wonder if I just missed him even thought I looked a few times? I start to stress he is dead.

I grab the net and lightly lift up the ship just a little, I see a little fin move. Was it him moving it or the current? I move it again, fin moves more, he looks at me. I take the hint. I set the ship back down, it sits on his whisker. I had to lift it up about 5 times before he moved his whisker out of the way! LOL He had the pellet too.

he seems to be fine. Little stinker.

I am just amazed at his reaction. I agree the temp could of gone even lower if I wouldnt of sucked out some and added some warmer back in. I was so nervous too thinking I was adding to warm of water and would reverse the problem. I did good though.

No other fish in the tank 2 spotted pictus, 8 serpae tetra, 8 white skirt tetra cared. They all acted normal. I mean it could of bothered them but no one showed any unusual behavior. More active, less active etc.

Pranzer.. man I was worried he hurt himself. He just completely lost control in there. Knocking rocks into the glass, knocking over the shark decoration in there, head butting the glass etc. He made such a fuss and then after he came to the side and told me off he just laid in the log he usually doesnt go in bent in a weird position. I was so worried.

He looks great, no scrapes or cuts I can see from his spaz attack. I am so thankful that he let me know something was wrong. The snail going into his shell wouldnt of seemed to odd to me. It was Pranzer and the snail that made me look at the temp AGAIN.

It was nice to see him come up to the glass right in front of us as he did. he charged out of that log to us. I knew he was mad at me, and I freaked out but also for those few seconds I got to see him, out and actually SEE him. He is so beautiful. I had a few seconds to say to myself and take note to how beautiful he is. That is rare as he and Tank Boss hide all the time. At least I get to see my spotted pictus that do not hide as much!

That is when I know for sure I am addicted to fish keeping. I can look at a fish and sit there and say "wow" at it's beauty and it's personality.

Guess it was a moment of connection with him? LOL My big boy of the tank. It sounds cheesy but I am sure others can relate how attached you get to these guys, and how they are not just a fish but become like a dog or cat as far as pet status. It is just a shame we cant hold them and love them too LOL

Since I am being mushy like a proud fish mom here is another video of one of my spotted pictus (Whiskers) kicking my smaller of the two four-lines (Tank Boss) out of her spot. It cracks me up.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/courtneem/?action=view&current=myspot.flv

:)
hehehehehee Nope, I totally understand. I got attached to my snails like that too. I have a female betta who comes up to me all the time when I sit by the tank. I love it. Especially since she used to do it in her little 1gallon, and now she gets to rule to 10g. (I put her and her friend in the 46g but they did not like it one bit. Then her friend disappeared, no trace. I moved her into the 10g and she is very happy there.

Glad to hear he is doing fine. And you too. Marveling at the beauty of our fish, is one reason we have them. :) My thoughts anyway.

Back
Top Bottom