So, if not goldfish, then what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weaselandalf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I'm really hoping I've posted in the right place this time!
My tank is:-

30" x 12"
Cold, freshwater, with a biological/mechanical/chemical filter that also provides streams of bubbles.
It also has about 12 live oxygenating plants.
The tank is set up and ready for goldfish.

A week ago I had some seriously high Nitrites, but with patience they are going down.

I have a two part question:

1) I have been told that Goldfish are messy and a little boring so what should I get instead?

2) I have algae (I think it's algae) on all of my plants and there's two different types: the first looks white/grey and very thin, a bit like dust and spider webs and sticks to all of my plant's leaves (my poor, poor, plants!) And the second is on my stones and looks similar but more like a very persistant layer of dust (which it isn't as it refuses to come off without a really good wipe and appears again, a day later)...

...this leads me on to ask "I know I need to clean the tank and that's totally cool, but is there a fish I can get (especially a fish that'll get on with any other fish that might be suggested in question 1 or that will get on with goldfish?) that will eat algae for me? And how do I kill it?"

And wow, do moan eh? Any help would be recieved greatfully and possibly with me curled up under the desk worrying about my "poor poor plants!" 8O

p.s. I cant find this algae listed anywhere... :?:

Goldfish: Messy? Yes!!!! Boring? Not even close!!!!!!!

As for the algae, you could get a bristlenose pleco to go along with them. They seem to clean up a tank quite nicely.

If you don't like goldfish, then go with a local species. I think this is an overlooked aspect of our hobby. My brother-in-law has a 300 gallon marine tank that he stocks himself with things he catches. A native species would look very nice, and there are some very interesting species available in Europe. Most people automatically think goldfish when they think coldwater, but don't follow the flow, go with something different.

I agree with DiverDown. Goldfish and cold-water tanks are used in conjunction far too often when there are a lot of other options.

If you don't like goldfish, then go with a local species. I think this is an overlooked aspect of our hobby. My brother-in-law has a 300 gallon marine tank that he stocks himself with things he catches.
Check with the local laws before removing wildlife.

some possible suggestions:

white clouds
danios
crayfish
hillstream loaches
dojo loach

If you don't persist on coldwater and your plants will be ok with that, you could add a heater 8) .
Otocinclus are good against algae and maybe some guppies would be something nice. They give live birth to their babies on a very regular basis and its really not difficult to breed them! Doesn't that sound interesting :wink: ?

Yeah, what about that "algae"? I've recognized it in my tank too a few days ago. Never seen something like that before. It looks like the whole driftwood I have in my tank and some of the plants are covered with clear yello, it's getting more every day. It comes off quite easily, but will be back in no time!

I would really love to know what it is! Is it maybe just bunches of bacteria growing on there, or what?

I'd like to second that goldfish are the farthest thing from boring! So far, they have been one of my favorite kinds of fish

My wife really likes to two gold fish in our 55 gallon. They seem to have a lot of personalty. and the two goldfish we have may poop a lot but there is never any left over food rotting on the bottom of the tank. They "EAT EVERYTHING" including certain types of live plants. If they aren't fed enough. I must say you will not be bored watching them and there behavior.

Back
Top Bottom