So I'm getting a 5 gallon tank tomorrow and I'm thinking shrimpies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of shrimp? bs6749 sells a few varieties.

Obviously you are going to cycle the tank before dumping in any shrimp right?

What kind of shrimp? bs6749 sells a few varieties.

Obviously you are going to cycle the tank before dumping in any shrimp right?
i'm looking into my county's natural water parameters since what i've read the hardness and alkalinity play a huge part of keeping shrimp happy. I'd rather not mess with trying to change that. So I don't know what kind of shrimpies I want. I already threw a filter into one of my already cycled tank to get it seeded while I order the stuff for the new tank.

well, I think he ahs CRS, RCS, yellow, and snowball. He can probably point you in the right direction if you are looking for anything else.

I just started a 5 gal shrimp tank as well, no shrimp yet though. My plan is to house RCS and CRS in the tank, though they do have slightly different requirements for best breeding conditions, but I think I am going to give it a go. Tank is still cycling, but my plan is to start with RCS first, then CRS later after the tank is well established.

I have been pricing RO/DI systems but I may just go the route of buying 29 cent /gal water at the local store. I can't imagine I would need more than 1-2 gals a week.

well, I think he ahs CRS, RCS, yellow, and snowball. He can probably point you in the right direction if you are looking for anything else.

I just started a 5 gal shrimp tank as well, no shrimp yet though. My plan is to house RCS and CRS in the tank, though they do have slightly different requirements for best breeding conditions, but I think I am going to give it a go. Tank is still cycling, but my plan is to start with RCS first, then CRS later after the tank is well established.

I have been pricing RO/DI systems but I may just go the route of buying 29 cent /gal water at the local store. I can't imagine I would need more than 1-2 gals a week.
Do shrimp not respond well to the usual tap water conditioners?

The conditioners should be fine... it is just that Crystal Red Shrimp prefer softer water... and my tap water is fairly high GH.

The conditioners should be fine... it is just that Crystal Red Shrimp prefer softer water... and my tap water is fairly high GH.
OK, so I found my county's water parameters. alkalinity avg is 7.8 and hardness avg is 6.1
i don't know whether that's hard or soft water.

Softer than mine... for RCS or yellow you would be good I think.
My tap water has a GH of 17-18. KH 6-7.

Softer than mine... for RCS or yellow you would be good I think.
My tap water has a GH of 17-18. KH 6-7.
so is gh the hardness and kh the alkilinity?
i'd love to do blue pearl shrimp but it says "The Blue Pearl Shrimp prefers slightly alkaline to medium-hard water"
so that means my water is too soft right?

I think you would be ok hardness wise. What is your pH? I think you are in a range that would be considered medium hard.

Back
Top Bottom