So, I'm going on vacation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrafnkel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What should I do in terms of fish feeding? I'll be gone for a week (well, about 6 days)... And I know I don't want those vacation feeder things (the ceramicy ones) because everything I've read says they'll just foul the water.

If you can't get someone you trust to come in and feed them, you are probably just as well off not feeding them. They will be fine for 6 days and boy will they be glad to see you when you get home.

I keep saying that but my parents are all "blah blah blah they'll be dead blah blah" and I'm all "Um, no they won't, I usually see people advised to just not feed them if it's only a week or so" and they don't listen. >.>

If someone has to feed them, dole out feedings in one of those pill organizers and hide the food. That way there is no danger of an over zealous helper.

We kinda live out in the middle of nowhere. :) But I could see if we have any small containers I could label and such for when my grandparents drop by to check on our horse... Just for one feeding or so over those 6 days.

For only six days, I'd go with the no feeding plan. Your fish will be far better off being a little hungry, rather than a lot overfed.

Do a water change right before you leave and do one when you get back and you should be fine.:)

Last summer when we went on vacation I had my neighbor feed them. We were gone for 7 days. I fed them right before we walked out the door then I had a pill box that we put food in and the neighbor just used the food in the box. I had him feed them like every other day so he only had to feed them like three times. It worked out well. We got the pillbox from the dollar store, it was the round type and worked great for that.

If you feel better about having someone come over and feed. Two times should be fine. That would be like every 3 days. Get the plastic pill holder things...so they will feed the right amount.

Or, if you want, just don't feed.

Back
Top Bottom