So many questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blur411

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been posting on another message board, but after going to my LFS today I wanted to get a second opinion from a different group of people.

I have a 55 gallon tank, 3.5 weeks into a "fish in cycle". My nitrites are ranging between 2-5 (depending on water changes), ammonia is about .5 and nitrates are 0-5. via API test kit

I went to the LFS today asking for filter media, since I'm new to the area and unable to get any from friends etc.. I've posted on Craigslist as well trying to find someone to donate. The store wont do it, because of the risk of spreading disease and being accused. I've asked two stores...one (the actual localy owned one) and they don't even think I need to be cycling, and the PetCo, which says I should cycle.

The PetCo reccomended the Nutrafin Cycle bottle (I brought it home), but the other message board has a bunch of info against it. The LFS lady also said doing 100% and 50% water changes are a BAD idea and told me whatever fourm I was on was giving me terrible advice. I wanted to get a second fourms opinions on what is going on. I have a 55 gallon with 3 gupies, and 1 pleco and 2 ghost shrimp at this time. I had added some live plants, just a few at this time though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The opinion of water changes being bad is an old school belief. It used to be believed that old water was better and that nitrAtes did not harm fish at all.

Anytime you see your ammonia or nitrItes go over .25 you should do a water change. The recommended level is 50% of the water. You should do consecutive water changes to bring your level down to a level below .25. Anymore than a 50% change and it is possible, although not probable, that you could shock the fish. As long as you dechlorinate and temperature match the water the fish are going to appreciate the clean water. Even if doing these water changes was bad as that employee said, I would take the "bad" water without the ammonia and nitrIte in it for fish.

Also, any LFS worth anything at all will give you established filter media. They should want you to be successful. I'm not talking about the chain stores, but good local stores.

I would advise against using the cycling product as well. They tend to get your tank hooked on them because of the type of bacteria that can be in those bottles.

I have been posting on another message board, but after going to my LFS today I wanted to get a second opinion from a different group of people.

I have a 55 gallon tank, 3.5 weeks into a "fish in cycle". My nitrites are ranging between 2-5 (depending on water changes), ammonia is about .5 and nitrates are 0-5. via API test kit

I went to the LFS today asking for filter media, since I'm new to the area and unable to get any from friends etc.. I've posted on Craigslist as well trying to find someone to donate. The store wont do it, because of the risk of spreading disease and being accused. I've asked two stores...one (the actual localy owned one) and they don't even think I need to be cycling, and the PetCo, which says I should cycle.

The PetCo reccomended the Nutrafin Cycle bottle (I brought it home), but the other message board has a bunch of info against it. The LFS lady also said doing 100% and 50% water changes are a BAD idea and told me whatever fourm I was on was giving me terrible advice. I wanted to get a second fourms opinions on what is going on. I have a 55 gallon with 3 gupies, and 1 pleco and 2 ghost shrimp at this time. I had added some live plants, just a few at this time though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I agree with the comment right above this one. A 50% water change should be performed when it gets that high. My opinion is that it would have been better if you had done a fishless cycle, but that's your call. Whoever told you that 50% water changes are BAD is quite inexperienced and I wouldn't trust a Petco employee with anyone more than if they had a type of fish that I wanted. There are no employees that focus especially on fish, and fish are complicated things to keep IME.

I would also recommend to avoid the Nutrafin junk. I basically agree with the above comment on this as well. It's not a good idea.

Over all, I would not ask questions of pet store people, it's a bit better and safer to check with us or some local people who know what they're doing.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the reasoning I was taking her word as valuable is because she said she has two tanks at home, and over all fish is what she is most passionate about. Anyways, I will continue with the water changes, and take that stuff back to the store. Hope it all cycles out eventually. I would have done a fish-less cycle, but the tank plus fish were all a gift, so I had no choice at that point. Thanks again!

I was in your shoes several years ago. I was actually considering getting some filter media and brown gunky filter sponge juice from a LFS to introduce to my filter to "seed" it. I'm really glad I didn't because of the potential fish diseases you can introduce to your system. So those LFS did the right thing by denying you.

IMO, if you're starting to get traces of Nitrites and Nitrates in your results, that's indication that you already have some of the correct nitrifying beneficial bacteria strains processing the ammonia. It would be my suggestion to just continue monitoring the parameters and keep them on check by your normal PWC schedule until they build up. Then you can gradually start stocking more.

However, if you feel that it is necessary to jump start the biological function of your filter without access to an established aquarium's filter media (that you can trust), the only BB in a bottle that I've used that works is Tetra SafeStart or Dr. Tim's Aquatics One and Only. These are the only two products that I know of that have scientific scholarly journals that have proven results and contain the right biospira strains of BB. There are those that still don't believe it, but I've used it and it works. Only on my first tank because like you I didn't have access to an established aquarium. My second and third tank was easy because I just conveniently seeded them from the first.

I agree on the water changes- they are must to keep your fish healthy during fish-in cycling. A good water conditioner such as Prime will help to bind toxins as well. If you are in the US, you can purchase 'active' (live, cycled) filters from Angelsplus. Many members on here have successfully cycled their tanks using these filters. Heres links to fish-in cycling & Angelsplus active filters:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have the prime, and I'm using it daily. I was just thinking it was slowing the process by binding it before the bacteria get their turn at it.

Nope! Prime works by converting ammonia (NH3) to ammonium (NH4). Your good bacteria do not care which form its in- they still use it as a food source. Keep in mind, Prime only works up to @2ppm amm/nitrite and only for a period of @48hrs- it does not negate the need for water changes. While ammonium is no where as toxic as ammonia, its still not exactly 'healthy' for fish. You will still need to keep toxin levels under control with wcs. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom