So...Many...Tannins..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, bought a nice piece of mopani today at a guy price. Well I've been boiling it for over two hours now, and the tannins just won't go away. I swear my LFS injected it with tannins. Is there any telling about when they will go away? I'm probably going to boil for about 3 more hours, then go to bed. If they aren't gone in 3 hours, I will soak it over night. Does this sound good? Why are there so many (tannins). -_____-

Edit 1: all the times I pour out the tannin bleached water and add new water, the color of the tannic water is like blood and doctor pepper. It hasn't lightened up at all. Just FYI

gobluewolverines4 said:
Hey guys, bought a nice piece of mopani today at a guy price. Well I've been boiling it for over two hours now, and the tannins just won't go away. I swear my LFS injected it with tannins. Is there any telling about when they will go away? I'm probably going to boil for about 3 more hours, then go to bed. If they aren't gone in 3 hours, I will soak it over night. Does this sound good? Why are there so many (tannins). -_____-

Edit 1: all the times I pour out the tannin bleached water and add new water, the color of the tannic water is like blood and doctor pepper. It hasn't lightened up at all. Just FYI

Give it a good boil then soak it overnight. When you boil it change the water out about every 20 minutes. I used to boil driftwood for hours and hours and soak it for weeks. Now... If it sinks right away I'll boil it soak it overnight and throw it in the tank! Done deal! I'm so impatient the filters will clear it up.

i had a piece like that let it soak for a day or two drain repeat till you like the color you see some leach out quick then there is those pieces are rich in the color..you can put in your tank and ride it out if you dont mind tinted waters the fish wont mind ....good luck oh i would boil water and dump it in a bucket wear the drift wood would soak do it about 3 times a day then let it soak a day or so then repeat

South America fish love those tannins. Depends what's the fauna :)

After boiling it for several hours last night, I soaked it in hot water overnight, woke up, and the water was still pretty dark. Probably will boil some more when I get off work.

Why are there so many (tannins). -_____-

Just because many (if not all, im not sure) types of wood naturally have a lot of tannins in them. Tannic acid comes from lots of plants including things like alder cones, various leaves (oak and almond are popular,etc), and tea leaves.

To avoid the tannin thing in the future just try to get some real driftwood. Stuff like mopani (among many of the other common aquaria dw types) is not typically real driftwood, as in it's never been submerged in water. Real driftwood has little to no tannins in it because it was leached out long ago.

Otherwise just keep soaking it and changing the water out periodically.

I'm having the same problem right now with my 2 pieces of DW, unfortunately I couldn't boil them due to size so I ran em thru the dishwasher twice and I still have tons of tannins :/

If u have a local river/lake id look there for real driftwood. You're sure to find something you'll like :) good luck!!

I found a really nice piece from lake superior but it never sank. And I'm not into the whole slate thing, that's why I bought this one, because I knew it would sink

Boiling really brings out the tannin's, once it is in the aquarium it shouldn't be to bad. I boil it once and add it to my aquarium without to many tannin's leeching out. After a few water changes water is clear.

So hypothetically, I do hike down a river in search for DW. How will i know if the wood will not rot? That's my second concern. First being the fact it wont sink. :fish2:

I have the same piece of wood you have and had to boil it once a day for about 4 days as well as just keeping it soaking and water changes every so many hours a day. All and all it took almost 2 solid weeks..I added to my tank because I wanted to see how it would do. It's fine now, as with regular water changes, the slight color never lasts. I have a photo of it, but not sure how to upload here. it's a decent size. Good luck

Terribly sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I saw this dishwasher idea and wanted to try it as my mopani wood is also too big to boil. My mom thinks these tannins will somehow harm her dishwasher. Can they?

bud29 said:
Terribly sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I saw this dishwasher idea and wanted to try it as my mopani wood is also too big to boil. My mom thinks these tannins will somehow harm her dishwasher. Can they?

I don't believe so, my dishwasher is perfectly fine still :)

I have never used the dishwasher and nor have I ever advised using the dishwasher. Many newer dishwashers these days have a compartment for the automatic rinsing agent, which will release soaps into the wood. Unnoticeable soft bark may come off and clog the washer, the best methods IMO are bake, boil, or soak. Not saying that the dishwasher won't work, I've just never wanted to take that chance.

gobluewolverines4 said:
So hypothetically, I do hike down a river in search for DW. How will i know if the wood will not rot? That's my second concern. First being the fact it wont sink. :fish2:

With all of my DW, I soaked it for a day or so then used my fingernail to see if the wood is soft, if it is there is a chance it will rot.

Back
Top Bottom