so the big question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have posted this before with little answers. On a freshwater tank (36Hx12Wx24H) how many bulbs can I have before its too many. I currently am running 4 6500k screw in cfls but my tank still has dark spots.
I need advice on this please and thanks!!!

Screw in CFLs are more of a DIY approach so there is a lot of different factors that play into how much light you actually have. The bulb design has a ton of restrike so it is fairly inefficient also, and the reflector material and design plays a large role in light intensity. It's just something you'll have to play around with. I run 2 in my 29 and it's a little dark in some spots but overall it works well for low light.

jetajockey said:
Screw in CFLs are more of a DIY approach so there is a lot of different factors that play into how much light you actually have. The bulb design has a ton of restrike so it is fairly inefficient also, and the reflector material and design plays a large role in light intensity. It's just something you'll have to play around with. I run 2 in my 29 and it's a little dark in some spots but overall it works well for low light.

Well I have a nice shiny aluminum plate for the top/reflector. Would 6-8 be okay because the tank is fairly deep and I have 3 very nice size ozelot swords

It's something you'll have to play around with, I don't think anyone could tell you for sure since these DIY setups vary so much.

One thing I can say though is that running 6 or 8 CFL bulbs uses a lot more power than running a t5ho fixture and that would give you simpler, better coverage and intensity.

jetajockey said:
It's something you'll have to play around with, I don't think anyone could tell you for sure since these DIY setups vary so much.

One thing I can say though is that running 6 or 8 CFL bulbs uses a lot more power than running a t5ho fixture and that would give you simpler, better coverage and intensity.

Is 40 dollars good for a 36" one it has a 10k and an actinic bulb

jetajockey said:
thats a good price, but for a planted tank I would go with 6700k bulbs.

Will the 10k melt my plants? And also what does the actinic bulb do?

I have posted this before with little answers. On a freshwater tank (36Hx12Wx24H) how many bulbs can I have before its too many. I currently am running 4 6500k screw in cfls but my tank still has dark spots.
I need advice on this please and thanks!!!

a fish tank with 36Hx12wx24H?
never heard of such size ...

how can a tank be 36H n 24H? is the right size shorter then the left?

Here is an update. I just bought a coralife fixture for my 40g tank. It had a (10k,39w) and an actinic bulb.
I took the actinic out and replaced it with a (6700k,21w) bulb so now my lighting specs are...

1- 36inch 10,000k 39watt bulb
1- 36inch 6,700k 21watt bulb

So any advice on this. Here are before and after pics. 1st pic is with the 10k and actinic. 2nd pic is with 10k and 6700k bulbs going

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110914_203514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110914_203514.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ForumRunner_20110914_203551.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110914_203551.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 47
Anybody know my last question. Will just one 10k and actinic bulb work for freshwater

Back
Top Bottom