So, what fish should I get once this tank has fully cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stew

Aquarium Advice Regular
So far I have 2 goofy gold dust mollies (and 5 new fry unexpectidly) and 5 neon tetras. I really like the mollies charicter and I will likley keep at least 2 of the fry and give the rest to my sister or the LFS. I will defintly get a couple Black mollies and maybe a dalmation as well. But I would like a little more variety in the tank also.

What would you pros recomend to add a little color and personality to the tank?

BTW, the tank is a 29 Gal. and maintains a pretty solid 7.2 PH so far.

The mollies seem to clean the algae off the oriments and do eat from the gravel but do som bottom feeders do a more through job of the gravel than mollies?

I saw some cobalt gouramis in the LFS, would they be compatible?

Stew, I'm no pro, but I have platies and cories in addition to my black mollies, and they are pretty compatible. The cories do an amazing job with the food that sinks to the bottom--they are constantly, constantly eating! I know there are a lot of really cool-looking cories out there, too. I picked the Aeneus ones because they only grow to about 3" and I have a 20G. Some of them get a lot bigger than that.

I like this website's clear pix of fish and their profiles: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=830

Good luck!

wow thanks for the link myriam that is very helpful!

do corys platies or gouramies need to be in a shoal of fish or are they happy alone?

Not sure about Gouramis, but cories do best with 3 or more. I think platies will be ok alone or in groups, prolly hang out with your mollies.

If you have a pair of gouramis of the same species, they'll have a tendancy to swim around together. But that's all I can say, never had more than a pair of any specific species.

i have got a dwarf gourami + pearl gourami they are nice fish to have in your tank.if you like mollys get a sailfin molly they are very nice fish to.and i can not leave out the good old guppy as they come in loads of pretty colours....hope that has help you a bit..
good luck with you fishkeeping :)

Back
Top Bottom