Soaking driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racedvl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought a piece of driftwood off eBay about a month ago. Boiled it a couple times. Now just have it soaking with a stone on top of it. It had been more than two weeks now and it still just floats add soon as I remove the stone. Is it possible that this will not become water logged enough to sink? And sadly I do not know the type of wood it is. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a picture? Any dw can sink with a big enough slate piece screwed into the bottom

I have found that it takes a whole month sometimes to water log a piece of wood. Sometimes longer. Sounds like yours might take that long.

Usually DW sink... Maybe there's a air buildup inside... Maybe if you put it in hot water it will create more air pressure in the air inside, then wait water for cool, and does it sink ?

Mine sink the first day I bought it... No tan were released.

Driftwood

So I bought a piece of driftwood off eBay about a month ago. Boiled it a couple times. Now just have it soaking with a stone on top of it. It had been more than two weeks now and it still just floats add soon as I remove the stone. Is it possible that this will not become water logged enough to sink? And sadly I do not know the type of wood it is. Any ideas?

Hello race...

Most driftwood will need to be weighted down with rocks. Some use suction cups and twine to ensure the piece stays on the bottom. You can arrange gravel or lava rock with Anubias attached to cover the cups. Use your imagination, but don't wait until the driftwood sinks by itself, you may never get it into the tank.

B

I did snap a quick picture out the door this morning on my way to work. It's a bad picture. I have been changing the water with hot water every time.

Attachments

• 1391531643735.jpg
    1391531643735.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 137
I did snap a quick picture out the door this morning on my way to work. It's a bad picture. I have been changing the water with hot water every time.

Let it sit in the sun in that tub if possible. Other option is screw it to a piece of slate or wait for a few more weeks. It may take longer if it was completly dried out

She was pretty dry. I might give it more time. I might get it in and put the rock on top of it in the tank. We will see.

Don't worry just yet, a few of my pieces I had to keep rocks on top of (in the tank) for 3 months until they stopped trying to float.

Here is a better pic now that I'm home.

Attachments

• 1391556941800.jpg
    1391556941800.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 113
I can't see the whole piece of wood but what I can see you have a very pretty piece of driftwood

Thank you. I can't wait to get it into the tank.

Truly a remarkable peace of driftwood with exquisite characters.
PS does that sound like something a British person would say.

I have gotten it into the tank now, but it still floats. I have it weighted down with a rock for now. Once it stays down, I'll keep trying to flip it around too see witch way it's gonna stay.

Attachments

• 1392759285136.jpg
    1392759285136.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 108
Thanks greenlily!

HI racedvl
I added a piece of driftwood to 2 different tanks. After of course I boiled them, and froze them as well. That was last September. Mine still float. Yes they are real wood. I cut down a couple of larger pieces to get the size I wanted. I am not sure when these will sink, so hang in there.

Well.... it still floats. I think I will have to slate it or something. I have had a rock on top of it this whole time

I've been soaking two different pieces for almost two weeks now. The darker pieces doesn't float as well as the lighter piece, but they both still float. I've been changing the tub water with hot water every day. I'm just hoping they'll six by the time my tank fully cycles. The piece I had in my other tank was pre mounted to slate and sank readily without the extra weight after a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom