Soft Green Algae-Eater ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maricutie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I recently constructed a plant-only aquarium and have what I think is soft green algae growing on the acrylic front of the tankand on some of the plants. It's definetely not the hard spot algae (although this too comes in spots) because i used to get that in my other tank and know the diff. This one i can just wipe off the acrylic front with my hand, it's that soft.

Everything else is growing great too: i have lighting at 3.5 watts per gallon, not including the reflecting amount, and two 2L bottles of DIY CO2. Oh, yeah, this is a 10 gal fishless tank :).

So wondering two things:

- what would be a good algae eater for this tank? Otos are really cute, but i think they only eat brown algae (if they ate this algae, it'd be GREAT!)... SAEs are my next choice, but i hear they get too big for such a small tank.

- is this too much CO2 for my tank? it's great for the plants, but can any fish survive in this ? there's a fluval 2 filter in there, but although it does some surface agitation i don't know if this is enough ..

Thanks for any help!!

MT :)

IME otos will eat that kind of algae, another option is amano shrimp if you can find them. If your tank is heavily planted I wouldn't worry about oxygen problems.

i had 2 amano shrimp in my other 10 gal tank, but for some reason they disappeared after a month without removing any of the hair algae that I'd bought them for. did a great job on the driftwood, though ... but I think i'm more comfortable w/the otos b/c they aways seem to be hanging around the glass :)

and btw, my betta looks exactly like that !

I have this same problem and I've started removing plants all over but it spreads so quickly, there's got to be some way to clean this algae out

Back
Top Bottom