Softened water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudgeboss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have had our tank for about a year. all is going well. about 2 weeks ago I got our water softener going again. today, when I did a PWC I realized that the water going into the tank now would be softened. Many of the minerals would be taken out and replaced with a salt solution. Is this good for my tetras? Would I be better off to use hard water? How do I warm it up to the temp that my fishies would llike?

thanks

What type of softener do you have? I think cation exchange is good. the other type is not.

Typically the softener is only hooked up to 1 side (hot) so you are probably at 1/4 dilution going to the tank and I doubt the fish would notice until you get up over 50% PWC.. Sadly I'm not expert in water softeners, if you want to play it safe. bypass the softener and fill a pail, then use a heater to heat it up to tank temp..

You should be fine. Plenty of people use water softeners. It becomes a problem when your water is too soft that it does not have the buffering capabilities. Have you tested the hardness?

You should test the KH of the water. If the KH is too low, it would be a problem with pH stability.

With an ion-exchange unit, the KH should not be a problem. The fishies won't care if you exchange the Ca/Mg with Na or K. It would be a problem if you keep inverts like snails (need Ca for their shells).

If you have a R/O unit, the situation would be totally different.

Back
Top Bottom