Softened water in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamurph

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does using softened water as opposed to hard water in a freshwater aquarium matter?

I ask because the guy at the LFS said that I should switch from my tap water (17gH, 12kH) to my softened water (0gH 12kH).

One of the co-owners at the LFS said that the amount of salt that is introduced in to the tank (for my current fish) wouldn't be a problem, as my Kinetico water softener only puts in a minute amount (McDonald's size packet) of salt PER WEEK into the WHOLE house. He did say that at some point I should switch from salt to potassium in the softener.

So he actually recommended me using the water from the softener. He said that I should do a 50% water change today and another 50% tomorrow in order to prep my tank for (3) German Blue Rams.

What do y'all think?

I currently have:
(3) Clown Loaches
(1) SAE
(1) Bristlenose
(5) Silver Dollars
(8) Rummy Nose Tetra's
FUTURE: (3) German Blue Rams

Questions:
1) Is it necessary to change the make up of my water to accomodate the German Blue Rams?

2) I know that the calcium & magnesium ions are exchanged for sodium ions (my water softener uses salt). Is this good or bad?

3) Will the additional sodium affect my fish?

4) Is potassium chloride better for fish than sodium chloride?

5) Found this out on the net, is this good or bad? "Normal water softeners strip calcium and magnesium out of the water by adding salt. This DOES NOT make water softer, it only reduces the amount of calcium and magnesium. In fact it increases the tds or total dissolved solids of the water, since for each ion of calcium or magnesium removed 2 ions of salt (sodium) are added. Lets pretend that calcium and magnesium are the only dissolved solids, 17 dGH is roughly the equivalent of 300 ppm or mg/l of dissolved solids. After being processed by a normal water softener, this means total dissolved solids are now 600 ppm."
Just looking for additional confirmation before doing this.

Thanks,
aquamurph

"If there is any way to do it wrong, he'll find it.", hence "If anything can go wrong, it will" -Edward A. Murphy (Murphy's Law)

interesting question. I have a water softener and plan on keeping cichlids. Should I use my outside taps "hard water". That will be a real pain. It's only cold.

1) Is it necessary to change the make up of my water to accomodate the German Blue Rams?
Nope. I have 6 German Blue Rams thriving in a pH 8.2 with a hardness of 23 drops (forget what the conversion is for AP). Your fish will adapt to your tap water. Are you wanting to breed them?

Can't help with your other questions, sorry.

Rlebeau- No, you don't have to use water from outside. Test your water for hardness and pH. If the hardness is low, just add crushed coral to your filter. It will slowly and naturally bring the pH and hardness up in your water. It's safe and very effective. But check your levels first.

1. german blue's don't like hard water. I'm not sure if the Gh will affect them or not. HOwever a dKh of 0 isn't good...there's no buffering at that level, so wild pH swings could occur, and the ram won't like it. you'll wanna have 3dKh.

2. this is exactly how a water softener removes carbonate hardness. see #1 for the negatives.

3. it may. it would really affect some plants though.

4. yes.

rlebeau,

If you're keeping cichlids, then yes, you want hard water.

If you know what your ph is, the other questions will be rendered moot. As malkore states, 0dkh is a strange recommendation from any source, let alone your LFS. I would inquire of the LFS what there ph and kh is and make my decision based on that. If they have a high ph (7.8 - 8.2) and they are keeping Rams in that environment, they can certainly thrive in your tank if you have the same. Of course, if they somehow managed to maintain a ph of under 7.0 (which I doubt if they suggested you remove all of your buffering capacity), the acclimation would probably not be good.

FYI...

I have a 55g tank. I wouldn't be wanting to breed the Ram's. In fact, if possible I'd be looking at putting (3) males together.

Also, the LFS is using RO water ... don't know if that helps. I am not, obviously.

Thanks

I have asimilair problem like yours but I have the addition of high nitrates but when I did start my tank I did use my tapwater I had a bad problem of my ph climbing sky high(8 and over) because of the undisolved solids left from the ion exchange now I use strait RO but know halfto deal with a hole new set of problems like adding KH and trace element for my plants. Are you on a well or municipal water? If you are on a well you may want to test for nitrates and nitrites as well also if you are on awelll and have a septic system(tank) or live in a heavy agricultural area you may want to check water paramiters at each water change especialy after heavy rain or at planting season.

Back
Top Bottom