softening water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is it you want to soften your water? Unless your water parameters are at EXTREME levels, virtually all fish can adapt and live happily in a very wide range of hardness / pH levels. All fish will prefer stable water parameters as opposed to fluctuating ones which can be caused by trying to alter the water chemistry. IMO, as long as the fish are acclimated nice and slowly to the tank...they'll live a long and happy life regardless of the GH level :)

yea, all my parameters are stable, i have my discus and my water is very hard.. ive heard they like softer water.. i bet i shouldnt change it..

If your trying to remove or reduce some of the dissolved minerals, going with Distilled water / purified water would work. If your trying to naturally lower pH Driftwood / peat will do it.

There are water softeners you can purchase.

i have driftwood in there.. but, downfall, ive got crushed coral for the substrate, that id rather not remove cause its expensive.

i have driftwood in there.. but, downfall, ive got crushed coral for the substrate, that id rather not remove cause its expensive.

Ah ... the two cancel each other basically. As Eco23 said your fish will adapt to hard water. As long as they're happy ... no need to mess with it IMO.

I've never personally owned Discus...but I've heard from other members that they are not necessarily as sensitive to GH and pH as people believe. Hopefully a member who keeps Discus will have some good info. A member called Fishguy2727 I believe keeps Discus and has some good knowledge. Maybe he'll see the thread or you could always shoot him a PM :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom