Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
Soil like substrate?

Are there any substrates for aquariums that are similar to potting soil or sand? I am just looking for a fine substrate so if i get corries I don't need to worry about their barbells. Thanks.

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Eco Complete is more like soil, mixed with some small gravel. And I have a bunch of cories. Of course it's for planted tanks, and not cheap. If no plants, then pool filter sand is good.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Seachem Onyx sand. it's a planting sand and a rich black. only downside is it's buffering capacity will raise your KH. (it's rich in calcium)

You can also look into Profile, I believe that is the sand used on golf courses. it's a fired clay that is great for plants and I believe it's pretty fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...-Substrate/26/
this article uses soilmaster, its used on sports feilds or something and a lot cheaper than eco-complete. I think i will have to go to a gardening store. I don't like the look of eco-complete or flourite much. I don't really like gravel much.

I don't think i can get a soil that will raise my water hardness my tap's pH is 8.4 there are already a ton of minerals in our water.
"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
soilmaster is US exclusive (that's why I didn't mention it :P)

http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

Profile is 1mm in diameter per grain. probably costs about 10-15$/50lbs. Turface MVP (made for pitchers mounds) by profile is 14$/50lbs up here.

Profile is PH 7.0 Turface is PH 6.2, fluorite is PH 5.5.. I'll be using turface in my next tank as 200+ lbs of eco is too expensive up here (2$/lb) and I can get 400lbs of turface for about 100$
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok well what do you suggest this all sounds like jiberish to me lol. I just don't have the attention span tonight.

Tags
oil, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com