Soil Substrate amount for my Dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironhulkthordad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just placed an order for a custom rimless 48 x 24 x 16 tall tank. I have been looking to order some soil on Amazon for it to do some plants but I'm not sure how much I would need. Any ideas how many lbs of aquariam soil I would need to do the normal 3 inches with these dimensions maybe from experience.

I’ve used it in pots with a cap of gravel (make sure no additives). It’s a bit messy and don’t want to dig into it much ime.

I ended up getting bags of seachem fluorite clay.

Still cost me around 300$. Feels a bit much right now only cause the custom tank alone cost me so much.

Wait until you go high tech lights and CO2 :)

Soil works and I got good growth - just messy dealing with it. I’ve been meaning to look at hydroponics shops to see if they have anything.

Go inert sand... You'll thank me later.

TSC Stores black blacking sand... $15 / 50 lbs. You'll need 2-3 bags.

Or go to a pool / hot tub store and buy pool filter sand.

Either way, give them a good couple of rinses and you are set.

Sand for plants though? Shouldn't there be atleast a layer underneath with aquarium soil.
Go inert sand... You'll thank me later.

TSC Stores black blacking sand... $15 / 50 lbs. You'll need 2-3 bags.

Or go to a pool / hot tub store and buy pool filter sand.

Either way, give them a good couple of rinses and you are set.

Sand for plants though? Shouldn't there be atleast a layer underneath with aquarium soil.

Sand is the best for plants... Easy to plant into, easy to keep clean.

What "aquarium soil" where you thinking of using?

Eco-Complete, Flourite are inert and contain no nutrients for plants, same as sand or regular gravel.

Only soils are ADA style aqua soils / tropics soils but those = $$$$.

Or organic potting mix but... that is very messy and requires a different style to a planted tank.

I did some research and I'm going to keep doing it but you're right eventually it all becomes inert and I actually prefer the look of sand. That being said with the nutrients you can get pods to put in the sand that gives them nutrients and actually lasts months at a time. What kind of pods what they are called I don't know yet.

I got a 80 gallon custom rimless tank beyond pumped I have 4 weeks till I get it and I want to do everything right with no regrets. I. Hoping to do a half scape half open area with some large nice scape rocks then what kind of fish I don't know. I used to own a 65 gallon discus tank. I was thinking this time doing African cichlids but apparently they like to dig and will mess up all my plants.
Sand is the best for plants... Easy to plant into, easy to keep clean.

What "aquarium soil" where you thinking of using?

Eco-Complete, Flourite are inert and contain no nutrients for plants, same as sand or regular gravel.

Only soils are ADA style aqua soils / tropics soils but those = $$$$.

Or organic potting mix but... that is very messy and requires a different style to a planted tank.

I did some research and I'm going to keep doing it but you're right eventually it all becomes inert and I actually prefer the look of sand. That being said with the nutrients you can get pods to put in the sand that gives them nutrients and actually lasts months at a time. What kind of pods what they are called I don't know yet.

I got a 80 gallon custom rimless tank beyond pumped I have 4 weeks till I get it and I want to do everything right with no regrets. I. Hoping to do a half scape half open area with some large nice scape rocks then what kind of fish I don't know. I used to own a 65 gallon discus tank. I was thinking this time doing African cichlids but apparently they like to dig and will mess up all my plants.

I would just buy some dry ferts:

KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
CSM+B
11% DTPA Iron (if your pH it above 7.0)
MgSO4 (might not be needed)
CaSO4 (might not be needed)

And dose the water column. That's all you need to do. Sand for substrate for it's ease on the wallet, it's ease to plant into and it's ease to clean plus you like the look of it. No capsules needed.

Once the sand becomes dead though wouldn't you want to get capsule to keep the nutrients going for the plants.

Also as a side question do you think I should get a small wavemaker. It's a 48 long 24 wide 16 tall. Would it be good for the fish and plants. I was told compared to a salt water if you do it has to be 1/4th of what they use on a salt water.
I would just buy some dry ferts:

KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
CSM+B
11% DTPA Iron (if your pH it above 7.0)
MgSO4 (might not be needed)
CaSO4 (might not be needed)

And dose the water column. That's all you need to do. Sand for substrate for it's ease on the wallet, it's ease to plant into and it's ease to clean plus you like the look of it. No capsules needed.

Once the sand becomes dead though wouldn't you want to get capsule to keep the nutrients going for the plants.

Also as a side question do you think I should get a small wavemaker. It's a 48 long 24 wide 16 tall. Would it be good for the fish and plants. I was told compared to a salt water if you do it has to be 1/4th of what they use on a salt water.

The sand is dead from the start, and will be colonized by bacteria that will cycle organic material back into available nutrients for plants.

You do not need capsules at all, ever. Dosing the water column with those compounds I mentioned is all that is needed. Keep the sand as clean as possible.

You can also use a product called Thrive. It’s a liquid that you simply dose the water with following the directions on the bottle.

Are you planning on using 100% sand, or what is your substrate you have already purchased?

What filter are you planning on using? That will help determine if you have enough flow for the tank or not. Typically you want a rated flow of 10x the tank volume per hour which will (in reality) be around 4-5x actual tank turnover per hour (because manufactures are poor advisors, but masters in deception).

I will be getting a aqueon canister filter. My tank is 80 so I'll probably get one rated up to 150.

Yes I am going to go 100% white sand with rocks and plants. I am going to kind of put the sand on a hill aswell with some extra rocks for the plants.

How do I get those compounds you mentioned into the tank?
The sand is dead from the start, and will be colonized by bacteria that will cycle organic material back into available nutrients for plants.

You do not need capsules at all, ever. Dosing the water column with those compounds I mentioned is all that is needed. Keep the sand as clean as possible.

You can also use a product called Thrive. It’s a liquid that you simply dose the water with following the directions on the bottle.

Are you planning on using 100% sand, or what is your substrate you have already purchased?

What filter are you planning on using? That will help determine if you have enough flow for the tank or not. Typically you want a rated flow of 10x the tank volume per hour which will (in reality) be around 4-5x actual tank turnover per hour (because manufactures are poor advisors, but masters in deception).

I will be getting a aqueon canister filter. My tank is 80 so I'll probably get one rated up to 150.

Yes I am going to go 100% white sand with rocks and plants. I am going to kind of put the sand on a hill aswell with some extra rocks for the plants.

How do I get those compounds you mentioned into the tank?

www.rotalabutterfly.com

That link is used to determine how much of any compound to dose to reach certain levels.

I would suggest a PPS-Pro or an EI Light dosing regime.

This is dependent on your water source and your water change schedule. What are you planning to do with regards to water changes?

To get them into the tank, you can just dump them in dry, or make a solution and dose with a syringe. Both methods will require a small scale to weigh out the compounds. $20 off amazon should get you one with 0.001 gram accuracy and a calibration weight.

Back
Top Bottom