Solo fish for 20 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would be the best kind of active and attractive fish that would be alright on its own in a 20 gallon tank? I am kind of new to aquariums and types of fish. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Maybe a dwarf cichlid would work, I think. Before the fish make sure the tank is cycled.

Long. Where would I find a dwarf cichlid? I have looked at some fish but most either need a school, get too big, or just require a lot of space.

I'm not saying it does, but I'm just saying if you do something like a gbr u could add a school of neons.

I'm not saying it does, but I'm just saying if you do something like a gbr u could add a school of neons.

I am trying to only have one fish. I have a 55gal community tank already so I am trying to have something different.

You don't have to cycle the tank before adding fish, just transfer some establish filter media and test for toxins frequently for the first few weeks and do water changes if needed.

Ah ok. Would I be able to use one of my filters from my 55 (I have two currently)? It was originally on the empty 20 but I wanted to keep it with bacteria and help the other filter (the other filter is made for 55 gal aquarium). And that is a very nice fish!

Is there any other kinds of fish that would do well? I am not sure where I will be able to find a Dollar Sunfish as well. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

jewel cichlids look like the dollar sunfish(i knew this before i read the article,i saw the pic and went"that looks a lot like a jewel cichlid!!"),and reach something liek 5.5 inches

jewel cichlids look like the dollar sunfish(i knew this before i read the article,i saw the pic and went"that looks a lot like a jewel cichlid!!"),and reach something liek 5.5 inches

They are good looking fish. Would they be okay by themsleves in the 20 gal long? I dont know where you could buy dollar sunfish either. I was thinking something of cichlid type because of their colors

I have 2 filters on my 55 gallon just use one of them and some of the substrate it shouldn't take long at all to cycle.

I have a jewel cichlid in my 29 gallon community tank. Also have a GBR in there with a few platys, swordtails, and a pair of mollies. The jewel was being very aggressive at first but now leaves everyone alone.

They are good looking fish. Would they be okay by themsleves in the 20 gal long? I dont know where you could buy dollar sunfish either. I was thinking something of cichlid type because of their colors
1,maybe 2 would probably be good. if you wre to go the jewel cichlid route,i would only get one,because you dont want 2 males

Thanks for all the help! Jewel cichlid is a good option even if it gets to 6"? Would a Maingano Cichlid be fine? Its says they only grow to 3 to 4". I think they may be similar to the Electric blue Cichlid but I am not sure.

User said:
Thanks for all the help! Jewel cichlid is a good option even if it gets to 6"? Would a Maingano Cichlid be fine? Its says they only grow to 3 to 4". I think they may be similar to the Electric blue Cichlid but I am not sure.

Cichlids from lake Malawi or Tanganyika with the exception of shell dwellers do not belong in any tank that is under 4' do to the fact that they are very active and require a good amount of swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom