some clarification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So do I actually need carbon in the inside of my filter? What is it even for? I'm getting a new filter that has mechanical filtration, a carbon insert, and a bag of like this stuff as a place for BB to grow (AC 50). So I don't really need the carbon part?

I choose to run carbon in some of my tanks but it's not necessary unless you want to remove organics or medications.

You can easily just use the sponge, biomax media and extra filter floss in that filter. I have 3 AC's right now and that's what I do. I rotate carbon every other filter maintenance.

Hope that helped some

I find the carbon will remove particulate matter, it seems to keep my water clean. So I still use it. lol

Oh okay cool.....what did she mean by "remove organics"?

There are two different kinds of organics floating or disolved, carbon will remove organics like medications and tannins from driftwood. I have personally not used carbon in over 10 years, water changes will do everything your carbon will and has many more benefits as well.

I use a sponge. I read her that you could use them. I went to home depot and got one that is made for a pond filter. I cut it down to the size I needed for my tanks. You only need to get new ones if the old one is destroyed. I clean it when I clean my cycled tank. I just dump out the old water and swish the filter in the fish water that came from the tank. Then refill with fresh tank water and put the sponge back in.

So do I actually need carbon in the inside of my filter? What is it even for? I'm getting a new filter that has mechanical filtration, a carbon insert, and a bag of like this stuff as a place for BB to grow (AC 50). So I don't really need the carbon part?

In addition to what's already been mentioned ..One thing to keep in mind is that after a while, the carbon stops "chemical" filtration and becomes part of the Bio filtration. And no need to worry about the carbon releasing those organics, and other micro nutrients back into the water unless of course there is a DRASTIC pH swing (see the link below) at that point your fish are swimming belly up anyway:D.

Activated Carbon In Aquarium | Aquariums Life

Back
Top Bottom