some general questions about the hobby and my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
1 I was wondering with my current stock (6 neon tetras, 5 Dalmatian mollies, balloon mollie, goldfish, red tailed tinfoil barb and swordtail all in a 40 gallon breeder) am i over stocked?

2 What should my water change routine be? i usually do 10-15 percent a week.

3 Is it true that fish will grow to the size of the tank?

4 is it true that if you add a lot of fish, they will stay small?

any other info/advice would be appreciated! PS, I am just tringto settle a debate with someone!

1. I would say you are probably overstocked. The goldfish doesn't belong with the other fish as its a cold water fish. The tinfoil barb gets too big for the tank and will eat your neon tetras.

2. 50% weekly is the accepted amount of water changes. Basically, you will need to change your water based on your nitrate levels. The higher your nitrates, the larger your water change.

3 and 4 - the answer is both yes and no. Fish will get stunted in their growth from being in too small of a tank. Their internal organs however dont stop growing. This causes a very early death for fish. Hormones in the water can cause this as well but that's not likely to happen in your case.

In your situation I would highly suggest returning the tinfoil barb and goldfish and look at ways you can properly stock your tank.

PS, I am just tringto settle a debate with someone!

Surely you have an old thread about the stocking. You shouldn't have added the mollys until you upgraded bud, they can reach 5" and contribute tons to your bioload. I'm gonna say, rehome the barb and goldfish now that you have added 5 mollies.

Surely you have an old thread about the stocking. You shouldn't have added the mollys until you upgraded bud, they can reach 5" and contribute tons to your bioload. I'm gonna say, rehome the barb and goldfish now that you have added 5 mollies.

I know, but I plan on doing bigger water changes to comprimise :)

Yes but bigger water changes don't fix the tank size, in all honesty I would rehome the goldy and barb. You will be much happier and will free up around 50% tank space

Well, I do hope to upgrade in the future to a 75 gal, as soon as I get a job :)

Then I would rehome them to someone who has adequate space or return the mollies for the time being. I'm really telling you this isn't good now. Adding 5 mollies to an.already compramised setup is a no no! Yes its a big tank but you have 2 fish that get big plus 5 new poop machines that get fairly big around 5". Your gonna need to change 50% water 2 times a week. Although they may seem happy, they grow fast and time flys. What happens when that future upgrade doesn't come? You won't know when its needed because the goldy and barb will become stunted

"In the future". While you wait for that, I would listen to there peoples advice. You have your tank way over stocked and fish that are to big for your tank. Get rid of the fish that are not able to be in your tank right now. In the future, go back and buy those fish ONCE the tank is set up and ready to go

Then I would rehome them to someone who has adequate space or return the mollies for the time being. I'm really telling you this isn't good now. Adding 5 mollies to an.already compramised setup is a no no! Yes its a big tank but you have 2 fish that get big plus 5 new poop machines that get fairly big around 5". Your gonna need to change 50% water 2 times a week. Although they may seem happy, they grow fast and time flys. What happens when that future upgrade doesn't come? You won't know when its needed because the goldy and barb will become stunted

Dude, I know it was a mistake, but I really do plan on upgrading soon! I think I will transfer some of the mollies in my cycling 10 gal.

Dude, I know it was a mistake, but I really do plan on upgrading soon! I think I will transfer some of the mollies in my cycling 10 gal.

I know but I'm giving you friendly advice because I wouldnt wanna have it any other way myself. Not getting mad or trying to pester you about it but in reality, it needs to be done asap

I know but I'm giving you friendly advice because I wouldnt wanna have it any other way myself. Not getting mad or trying to pester you about it but in reality, it needs to be done asap

Dude, you are being totally cool about it :) I promise I will start looking for a bigger tank ASAP :)

Same here. Not trying to be mean but its very important. I don't like nagging people so I just try and get right to the point :p I know you want to do it soon... soon is in at least two weeks if were were to get a job tomorrow though.. you have go wait for a pay check. Two weeks is not soon enough.

And please, regime the goldfish!! It's temperature requirements aren't the same as your other fish. It wouldn't be fair to the fish to put it in a temperature zone its not suited for. :)

I'm gonna hold you to that! I'll ask you in a month. I don't forget easily unless my wife ask something Haha

Alright, it sounds like a deal! I just need to do some searching on craigslist :) now stop worrying about me, I got dis :) lol!

Tinfoil barbs can get huuuuge (my LFS has some that are over a foot long) plus are extremely active and need to be groups. I've always sorta lumped them in with fish like bala sharks in that their demands cannot really be met in home aquaria. I agree with the others in that you'd be best off rehoming the tinfoil barb and goldfish (not a tropical fish, different temp requirements) and then build from there.

Regardless of tank size issues you have serious compatability issues. The tinfoil baths get to be over 1ft long. What happens when he gets that big? He will devour his tank mates. The neons for sure and maybe even the mollies.

You will need to rehome something. The tinfoil barb and goldfish just don't work if you want your other fish as well. You really need to rehome both of those fish. Also, mollies get waaaaaay too big for a 10g tank so putting them in there isn't an option either.

You need to do some research on fish before buying them.

Back
Top Bottom