Some Guppy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyOto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know if you can only have 1 or 2 guppies a year? I have 1 male guppy, 3 harlequin rasbora and 1 oto in a 10g. I am going to get a female guppy but I don't want a guppy overload. Please post if you know how to limit guppy babies. :thanks:

i have guppys and they breed like mad but i enjoy doing it as a hobby and keep the best ones or the brightest ones and give the rest to my mum or friends for there tanks but they do have a lot of fry at one time but not all of them survive:(if you dont want a guppy overload just get another male??

They usually have about 30 fry at a time. To avoid overloading the tank, give some away, sell them, or feed them to other fish.

The thing is that you need at least two females for every male otherwise the one female will be bothered by the male 24/7. That means twice as many babies! You could try also adding a fish or shrimp that eats the fry, like a female betta. (my female didn't bother my male lyretail guppies or the females but I haven't tried her with anything fancier)

Back
Top Bottom