some kinda wood eating nematoad thingy??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
alright ladys and gentleman, get this, I brought home a ton of awesome driftwood that was laying on the side of this lake by where I live, I brought it home, boiled it, then soaked all the pieces in an old 10 gallon I had outside on the porch, a few weeks later I went out to check on it and theres all these hook shaped things swimming in the water, they twitch from side to side when they swim and apperently live off of wood since theres saw dust everywhere in the tank, any ideas what these guys are?

iono what iti s, they have black heads, clear bodies and swim in this weird sideawys jerking motion, never thought about mosqito eggs, I thought I had something cool

tropicfishman said:
iono what iti s, they have black heads, clear bodies and swim in this weird sideawys jerking motion, never thought about mosqito eggs, I thought I had something cool

nah, they're skeeters - good thing tho is that fish LOVE em :)

ok well heres my idea then, I'm going to dose this tank majorly with bleach and kill them off...hopefully, boil each piece 3- 4 times and then soak for a few more weeks and see what happens......even if there is some left, would they bring any disease to my fish?

you might want to leave the tank inside this time when you soak it. Mosquitos will breed in any standing water - and you risk bringing west nile virus into your yard.

I would do nothing of the sort...just net them out...no reason to unnecessarily use toxic chemicals....very worst scenario is that you miss one or two and hatch out a mosquito or two.

whoops I just dumped a good amount of bleach in there, still hasn't killed them, been about an hour, i'm just surprised they survived the boiling I put them through

tropicfishman said:
, i'm just surprised they survived the boiling I put them through

They didn't...a mosquito got into your porch and laid eggs in the sitting water in the 10 gallon during the weeks it was out there.

Back
Top Bottom