Some lessons learned in the past 3 months....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know - I wonder if we just hit on an automatic way to dose ammonia during a fishless cycle ! Of course a cup of ammonia sitting near the tank is probably going to smell even more than a rotting shrimp, but could be applicable if you were going on vacation during the cycle ....... hmmm

2.) IF YOU HAVE CATS...DON'T PARK THE TANK ANYWHERE NEAR THE CAT BOXES. The ammonia is attracted to the water and WILL get in there and kill your fish. GUARENTEED. It took me 3 months and a few dead fish to figure this out.

Didn't I read a subsequent post from you that you have 1ppm ammonia in your tap water? I would think that would be a better bet than the ammonia from a litter box travelling to your tank.

yeah, i think now that the tap water was the culprit rather than the litter boxes. although it seems that my tanks are easier to control ammonia in now since i moved the litter away and switched to prime.

I would think that would be a better bet than the ammonia from a litter box travelling to your tank.

Yes, sorry all. I am not saying it is not true, I just think it is unlikely

there's another post floating around - someone put a cup of water in the litter box (but made sure that the cat couldn't actually get anything into the water). within a day the water in the cup rose to .5ppm of ammonia - so it is possible for ammonia in the air to settle in an open container of water. quite interesting, I thought

Back
Top Bottom