Some please help! New balloon molly gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got four fish yesterday and put them into my 55 gallon tank (after acclimating for an hour) and today the balloon molly is gasping at the surface. None of the others are. They are acting well and eating. I changed out 20% of the water this morning, plus put in a little bit of extra Prime, also an air stone. I also lowered the water level to two inches from the top. What else can I do? If she's not at the surface, she's on the bottom, looking confused. She might be shimmying too, a tiny bit. Definitely not acting normal. LFS's water is same PH as mine, my Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are 10. Temp in tank is 76. PH is 7.6. Medium-hard water. Any suggestions at all?

Thank you for replying, Fishobsessed. Looks like you were right! After I put the air stone in, she didn't go to the top again. Just rested on the bottom. An hour or so later, she started moving around a little, and picking at things. That's when I started getting hopeful. Tonight when I fed the others, she ate too. She's also no longer staying out of sight and starting to explore. I was really afraid I'd lose her.

Glad it worked out! You might want to quarantine future fish in case they are sick and get the rest of your fish sick! It happened to me...one sick tetra infected 20 of my healthy ones. What a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know, I've brought in columnaris with new fish! But I no longer buy from either Petco or Petsmart. I deal with a very trusted LFS, and I find qt is not necessary, as they are super vigilant. I'm lucky to have them. I know... I should STILL qt anyway!

Back
Top Bottom