Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Sounds good! Temperature matched water (doesnt have to be exact but within a few degrees) is necessary so you dont shock your fish. Make sure you dose water conditioner for your entire tank & not just the amount you are changing. Please keep asking questions & keep us posted!
__________________

__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
50% pwcs is not alot & will be necessary as your tank cycles to keep your fish healhty. Anytime your ammonia or nitrites rise to .25ppm (or higher), you will need to do pwcs to lower these levels. It may take more than one 50% water change to lower your amm//nitrite levels if they are very high. Dont hesitate to ask more questions, we are here to help!
Thanks for replying!
My ammonia was at 4ppm couple days ago, good to know that the higher it is a bigger water change i need to do..
So to make sure im doing everything right, should I test my water before I change it? and after the change test again? how long after the change would you advise me to to check again?
__________________

__________________
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Sounds good! Temperature matched water (doesnt have to be exact but within a few degrees) is necessary so you dont shock your fish. Make sure you dose water conditioner for your entire tank & not just the amount you are changing. Please keep asking questions & keep us posted!
My water is normally around 24 or 25 degrees, the water that i put in is normally around that too.
I use 1.5 ML from my Prime, I did my maths and thats the right amount i guess because they say: Use 1 capful (5ML) for each 200L (50 gallons) of new water.
I have a 60 Litres tank, its 16 US Gallon and 13 UK Gallon if im not wrong =)
__________________
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
Thanks for replying!
My ammonia was at 4ppm couple days ago, good to know that the higher it is a bigger water change i need to do..
So to make sure im doing everything right, should I test my water before I change it? and after the change test again? how long after the change would you advise me to to check again?
4ppm is really high-stay on top of your water changes & dont be afraid to do back-to-back 50% changes to bring these numbers down. Yes, test daily to see where you stand before doing your wcs. For example, if your amm is 1ppm, a 50% wc will only bring it down to .50ppm (still too high). A 2nd wc will bring amm down to .25ppm (better) & a 3rd will bring it to .125ppm (even better). Wait atleast 1/2hr after a wc to test to give your water a chance to circulate around your tank. Fish-in cycling takes alot of patience & alot of water changes but its a necessity for the health of your fish. Keep up the good work!!
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
4ppm is really high-stay on top of your water changes & dont be afraid to do back-to-back 50% changes to bring these numbers down. Yes, test daily to see where you stand before doing your wcs. For example, if your amm is 1ppm, a 50% wc will only bring it down to .50ppm (still too high). A 2nd wc will bring amm down to .25ppm (better) & a 3rd will bring it to .125ppm (even better). Wait atleast 1/2hr after a wc to test to give your water a chance to circulate around your tank. Fish-in cycling takes alot of patience & alot of water changes but its a necessity for the health of your fish. Keep up the good work!!
4ppm was getting me worried , Im going to do a big change today as i said and thanks for explaining the best way to do everything
I really dont mind doing the water changes and all, it keeps me busy and it keep the healthy of the fish, its all i want hehe
__________________
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Good luck & keep us posted! Dont hesitate to ask any questions!
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
You're doing well.

Test the water before a water change; it'll tell you how much water you have to change out. For example if ammonia is .5, you'd want to do at least a 50% water change to get it down to <.25. If it's 1, you'll want to do 2-3 50% water changes to keep it under <.25. I'm afraid cycling is going to take more than a couple of weeks; more like a couple of months without seeded media from another tank I'm afraid. After the ammonia phase comes the nitrite phase and nitrites are as toxic to fish as ammonia so you'll want to keep up on water changes then too.

Don't be afraid to change out a larger amount of water at a time or do more than one water change per day if your levels are high.

There's a link below in my signature: new tank with fish. It'll guide you through the process.

Also what fish do you have?
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
You're doing well.

Test the water before a water change; it'll tell you how much water you have to change out. For example if ammonia is .5, you'd want to do at least a 50% water change to get it down to <.25. If it's 1, you'll want to do 2-3 50% water changes to keep it under <.25. I'm afraid cycling is going to take more than a couple of weeks; more like a couple of months without seeded media from another tank I'm afraid. After the ammonia phase comes the nitrite phase and nitrites are as toxic to fish as ammonia so you'll want to keep up on water changes then too.

Don't be afraid to change out a larger amount of water at a time or do more than one water change per day if your levels are high.

There's a link below in my signature: new tank with fish. It'll guide you through the process.

Also what fish do you have?
So basically what you said was that before i do a water change, i need test the water, if its 1ppm or more than 1ppm im going to do, lets say a 60% water change, after about 2 hours i test the water again, if it still high at 1ppm, should i do another water change the same day? and if its around 0.50 i do one the next day right?
Im already giving a look in the link that you told me.
Thanks for the help too.
__________________
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
So basically what you said was that before i do a water change, i need test the water, if its 1ppm or more than 1ppm im going to do, lets say a 60% water change, after about 2 hours i test the water again, if it still high at 1ppm, should i do another water change the same day? and if its around 0.50 i do one the next day right?
Im already giving a look in the link that you told me.
Thanks for the help too.
Pretty much yes. The threshold I recommend is .25 so any toxin readings over .25 need a water change(s); depending on how high above .25 it is you may need to do more than one. So just try to keep ammonia (and then nitrite when you get it) under .25; .5 is the highest I'd let it go before doing a water change. Also waiting about 30-45 minutes after a water change is sufficient before testing again; this gives the water enough time to circulate through the filters a few times so you can get an accurate reading.
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Pretty much yes. The threshold I recommend is .25 so any toxin readings over .25 need a water change(s); depending on how high above .25 it is you may need to do more than one. So just try to keep ammonia (and then nitrite when you get it) under .25; .5 is the highest I'd let it go before doing a water change. Also waiting about 30-45 minutes after a water change is sufficient before testing again; this gives the water enough time to circulate through the filters a few times so you can get an accurate reading.
cool thanks.
i forgot to write the fishes that i have in the last post, so here you go:
4 Neon Tetras, 3 Red Eye Tetras, 2 Mollies, 1 Pleco and 1 Bala shark.

Last 2 that i bought were pleco and Bala shark, i went to a new pet shop that have the most beautiful fish in a pet shop i even seen, could not resist to get Bala shark when i saw him, and pleco i think they are cool ;p
Bad thing was that i told the guy in the store that my ammonia was abit high, and he didnt said i could not take any fish while i was already doing fish in cycle.
He did tell me that the pleco was going to get big, because there was a huge pleco, but about the Bala shark, he said they could live alone, and he didnt told me they can get bigger than 15 cm's....
After some search's i saw that bala shark need to be in group of 6 or more.....

Anyway, they are all doing fine, Bala shark looks VERY STRESSED sometimes, at least not only mine, ive seen people saying they are stressed. I did sent an email to the guy to see if i could take him back, but got no answer yet, i think i need to get down there.

When they all get bigger, i will need to give them to someone if i could not get bigger a tank until there.

I had to say everything that happen because in another forum, people were almost killing me about the fishes, and they didnt knew what was happening..
__________________

__________________
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20>>46 upgrade. few easy questions tnice17 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 8 12-06-2011 01:54 AM
Aquarium start up supplies/cycling questions cyberkat General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 09-09-2011 10:42 AM
Want to start adding plants WinksFish Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 2 08-24-2011 06:58 PM
Starting out on Fishless Cycle - I have some questions jonnyep Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 12 07-29-2011 10:35 AM
Wanting to start an aquarium Mare_226 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 5 07-02-2011 08:27 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.