Some suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyRag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, for some reason the pleco died today. Other than occasionally floating upside down, he seemed perfectly healthy, and now I'm stuck waiting a bit to see if the other tank citizens also pass on. So now, I notice the sand at the bottom is somewhat dirty, any suggestions for some bottom cleaners that can live with a pictus cat and rosey barbs, and possibly some algae eaters?

Sorry to hear about your pleco.

When you say your sand is dirty, do you mean that you have algae, or that there is waste/detritus built up on your sand? If you mean detritus, the only way to take care of that is more pwc's and gravel vacs... well, not exactly vacs with sand. Just hover your gravel vac a couple inches above your sand and swish it around to stir up the waste. I'm not sure if a bristlenose could live with a pictus, but if so they are great algae eaters.

I've had miserable luck with plecos so far, so I was wondering if there was anything else. It looks like waste, so apparently I'll do some more pwcs.

Fuzzyrag..It will go a long way if you can provide some specifics.

Tank size and total population?
PWC routine?
Water quality?Test kit used?
How often is the water tested ?
How long has the tank been populated ?ect...

Infomation is the key here...the more you give uo,the better your chances of finding a solution.

Tank size and total population? The tank is a 25 or 29 gallon, all thats in there is 5 rosey barbs, 1 pictus cat, and what used to be the pleco.

PWC routine? I drain and replace about 5% - 10% weekly

Water quality? It looks clear

Test kit used? AP Master Test Kit

How often is the water tested ? Only for ammonia prior to today

How long has the tank been populated ? Over a year.

My first AP master test kit readings:
ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 160ppm

Any ideas now?

Yikes! Those nitrates are waaay too high. I would do a 50% pwc immediately and another 50% pwc tomorrow. Keep doing large pwcs daily until you can get your nitrates down to 20 ppm or less.

If it were my tank I'd change half the water then wait an hour and test again.The nitrates are way too high imo.If its still high I'd do it again.

I try to keep mine under at or below twenty fwiw.

Just a thought..the ap kit only goes up to 160.I suppose that leaves the window open for it to be much higher then 160 since you are at the top of the scale.

Keep us posted as to the nitrate result after the first water change.I'm really curious as to what it'll be.

HTH

Except for the most sensitive fish, nitrates are okay in the 20-80ppm range. It sounds like you are not doing enough PWCs. Increase to 25% and vacuum 1/3 to 1/2 the tank weekly. This will help keep the nitrate level in check over the long haul. It may also be the reason you have not had good luck with plecos (I don't know if your pleco was fancy).

1st water change got nitrates down to around 80ppm. The water in the kit for first test was slightly lighter than the 160, but darker than 80. So I was guessing in the 160 range.

edit again: Did another 50% water change since it was around 80, I got it to about the 60ish range I'd think (darker than 40 but lighter than 80).

Thats a big improvement.I don't see the harm in doing another change of the same size now,but tomorrow will be fine too.

But either way,you need another to get to 40 imo.

I also agree with Menagerie.You need larger changes on a weekly basis.Your tests will let you know how much and how often over time.

Your on your way to a much healthier tank by the way...good job.

You might want to give your pH a check too....I started losing any fish I added to my old 30 gal tank, including several plecos, but not the fish already there, so I checked my pH and it was <6!! Over time, tanks will slowly acidify (as well as build up nitrate), the fish in there might get used to it, but each species has it's own tolerance level. In my case the nitrates were more in line (~40 ppm, so still high but probably not lethal).

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) can be used to bring your pH back up, if need be. Just add it very slowly so as to not shock the fish. 1/2 teaspoon per day is safe and will only bring the pH up a few tenths. The bicarbonate is much better for your tank than any of the commercial pH buffers which contain lots of phosphates, which can cause algae problems.

Good luck! Congrats for turning to AA for help...everyone here is awesome about answering any question you could ever have!

Sorry about your fish. :(

My nitrates were high because of my pleco until I upgraded to a 55. Now they are down below 20. He needed more space.

Is this the same pleco we saw the other day that hung upside down?

Back
Top Bottom