Some Type of Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I noticed today that there was some type of stringy growths coming off of two of my plants. It is brown and is actually quite long. If someone could take a look at the posted pics and possibly identify it and any actions I can take would be greatly apprecited.
Thanks

Attachments

• plant1.jpg
    plant1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 83
  • plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 88
  • plant3.jpg
    plant3.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 79
  • plant4.jpg
    plant4.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 73
Looks like staghorn. generally from excess nutrients. Clean it off keep up a good water changes schedule and it should go bye bye.

Amicus said:
How do I clean it off of plants in the tank? Is it safe to bleach dip plants?

You can remove it manually, but you won't get it all. A 1/20 bleach solution is what's recommended in the gwapa link and I've done that before to plants with no problems. Or try H2O2 maybe?

You can do that but clean it off, keep up on the water changes. Keep after it and you will get it without ripping the tank apart.

Another quick question. I am pulling it off of the leaves in the tank and there is some that I don't catch that floats away, am I allowing it to spread?

You can remove it manually, but you won't get it all. A 1/20 bleach solution is what's recommended in the gwapa link and I've done that before to plants with no problems. Or try H2O2 maybe?
I may try that, I was cleaning it and found it in more places that I thought, especially in two very thick bunches of water sprite which I will not be able to manually remove. I hope this is not a run away train! :(

Amicus said:
Another quick question. I am pulling it off of the leaves in the tank and there is some that I don't catch that floats away, am I allowing it to spread?

I would think so. Kinda like scraping BA or something off tanks walls, you maybe getting it off but it'll settle somewhere else. I see that when I use my mag float and watch the algae billow around in the water column, it's going somewhere to reattach even during a PWC because there's no way you can get it all.

I would think so. Kinda like scraping BA or something off tanks walls, you maybe getting it off but it'll settle somewhere else. I see that when I use my mag float and watch the algae billow around in the water column, it's going somewhere to reattach even during a PWC because there's no way you can get it all.
Can you explain a little about H2O2 and Excel to me?

Amicus said:
Can you explain a little about H2O2 and Excel to me?

I use H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) at 100% to clean new plants coming in, it works great and isn't as harsh as a bleach solution. But it may not do anything to kill the staghorn, so you might try it first and if it doesn't do anything, then try the bleach at 1:20 ratio that gwapa recommends.

Excel is basically co2 in a bottle and works pretty good for my tanks. Just be careful with vals and anacharis since it can melt them if dosed right on top of them. I like to pull a gallon of tank water, mix the Excel in it then just pour it back into the tank. So far no melting of plants :D.

Do you all think a couple of flying foxes would help? I read somewhere they would and the lfs by me said they would help keep it under control with some help by me.

Amicus said:
Do you all think a couple of flying foxes would help? I read somewhere they would and the lfs by me said they would help keep it under control with some help by me.

I'm not a fan of adding fish to control issues like algae and find that amano shrimp do a lot more for overall clean up and don't add tremendously to the tanks bioload the way FF, otos, etc do.

+1, you need to first find out what the source of the algae is, i.e. overfeeding, need more frequent PWC's, etc. I would try all I can to avoid using bleach as the stuff is harsh on plants like Mr. Limpet pointed out. Many plants put into a bleach dip will simply not grow and die after returned to the aquarium.

I think I added too many nutrient suppliments too fast, I just blitzed my tank with a lot of plants for nutrient take-up. I also added three Florida Flag Fish and they are already picking the algae from the plants and the glass! After trimming the plants I have seen a great reduction in the algae in the tank. Go Florida Flag Fish! (And they are really colorful, they're a type of North American Kilifish)

Back
Top Bottom