Someone please back me up. (update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Back me up on this:

Without telling me, my girlfriend went out and purchased a cheap 20 dollar 10 gallon starter kit from wal-mart. In it She put 7 feeder Goldfish. I told her she was overstocking but she didn't listen. One died and I told her not to buy any more fish for the tank and she said fine.

So, of course she buys more fish. only this time she gets 2 black moore (sp?) goldfish and get this...a pleco!

someone help me out here. What am I supposed to do with this sweet, beautiful, stupid girl? :p :roll:

Yikes. Not a good situation. Even if the tank were cycled (which it's not), a ten gallon tank is too small for ONE goldfish- much less what's in there right now. I'd try to show her some of the info available on the Internet regarding new tanks, stocking limits, etc. and try to educate her about successful aquaria keeping.

Sad to say it, but it may be best to let her learn the lesson on her own. You run the risk of being the doggone know-it-all who's gonna impose your infinite wisdon on her.

The sadness comes from knowing fish will die. Most of us here have that in us that hates to see this happen under any circumstance, but I think you're in between a rock and a sledgehammer on this one. I suggest you let nature take it's course and she learn this valuable lesson - on her own.

Just maybe she'll feel bad enuf to ask for your input next time so she can really enjoy it.

Good luck! Breathe... count to ten. You know the drill. 8)

That's tough. We all know where that tank is headed, and it will be hard to convince her. Daily water changes and hope for the best, or..... buy her a 55gal! :D

haha. I am not buying her anymore tanks. we have had frog tanks (4 total) fish tanks, betta tanks, etc.

I am glad she wants to take the hobby more seriously, but she gets really upset when something dies...It's going to be a hard lesson for her.

I did convince her to buy a large airstone. Before the goldfish were really suffering from oxygen depleation. I had told her a few times before that if she wanted to start a 10 gallon FW tank, she would probibly enjoy some guppies, and a cory cat or two.

You could always point her to this site and let us help guide her.
Of course, edit this out of your first message:
What am I supposed to do with this sweet, beautiful, stupid girl?

Well this may sound gross but it's something most people can understand. After explaining a bit about the fish living in a closed ecosystem, and the fish producing waste, ask her how she'd feel about living in toilet that noone flushes.

The more fish, the more waste, the greater the need for that flush, and the flush is the "good" bacteria.

Well, My girlfriend has lost two fish in as many days. its has begun.

I told her to do a 50% water change so we will see what happens. I would take care of the fish myself, but she lives 2 hours away from me so she is going to need to learn to take care of them properly herself.

I think you all are being too generous here. This person has a source of advice (rocketseason), she is choosing to not take any words of wisdom from him regarding the number of fish.

At this point in time, if she buys more fish, I would be asking her how it feels to be responsible for the loss of life. Maybe a little guilt would go a ways in teaching some caution and responsibility for actions.

she means no harm, she was just not properly informed.

and since I am her boyfriend, anything I say is automaticlly ignored. :p

and since I am her boyfriend, anything I say is automaticlly ignored.
That's a shame :wink:
Have you let her know about the site, or the fact that there are sites dedicated to the keeping of healthy fish?

yeah, she knows I am on here all the time. she has a 28k modem at her house (remember those) So internet "surfing" is pretty much impossible.

And three are better than two.. oh wait.. this should probably stop before your girlfriend wakes up to a small army of fish people at her door.. :mrgreen:

i am new here so this may be over stepping my bounds however here i go----THis sounds like princess syndrom to me (not always to be thought of as a bad thing mind you) it would seem a girl that knows you are this into fish would have you set up her tank if that was all she wanted-but thats not what she did she set up a tank needing a lot of work IE the boy-friend into fish comes to the rescue- to take care of the tank two hours away - with a side affect of having her boyfriend that lives two hours away there- - just a thought
go rescue that princess

imo

that or she wants to proove to him that she can do it herself and pride is getting in the way. Let her make the mistake, don't make her feel guilty because I don't believe that will be positive in your relationship. Just maybe try and nudge her in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom