Something ate my Beta and Guppy fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barronda79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any idea what would chew up my fancy guppys tail fin as well as my Beta fins? It seems to only happen at night. I have sat and observed the tank during the day and none of them attack them during the day. This is a new tank most fish are small.
Heres whats in the tank
Malawai cichlids
guppys
Neon tetras
One sword
Transparent cats
Danios
Clown loach
Albino shark
Algae eater
Thank you

Can you be a little more specific with:
Danios
Algae eaters

There are several types of danios, zebras I know will nip fins, but they are not active as much at night as they are in the day. There are several types of algae eaters, if you know, please try to be more specific.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Also, I'm not sure about Malawia cichlids, or however you say it, but I know most cichlids are aggresive, and benefit from a cichlid only tank. I hope I have helped at least a little bit.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

More data

They are small zebra danios, not sure what type of algae cat it is though.thanks

I have never seen any aggressiveness from any ofthe cichlids. They are by far the most beautiful and interesting of them all by far. If worst comes to wore i will go with all cichkida entually. Its like having saltwater fish without all the reef hassle.

Okay. Zebras are known for nippiness. It may be them. I'm not sure what else to say, somebody else will come to pick up where I left off.

Sharks are known for being aggressive if they don't have a big enough tank. Which leads me to... How big is your tank? If it's anything under 55 U.S. Gallons, then he was probably the culprit. And when you say albino shark, do you mean rainbow shark or something else?

Oh, yeah, I didn't even notice the shark in the list. He could be another possibility.

Its a 36 gallon bowfront. The shark is tiny and spends mostofhistime on the bottomorchasing himslef against the glass. Its puzzling i wouldnever have suspected the zebra danios. The Beat was gorgeous and had the longest fins i have ever seen now he can barly swim, its sad. The shark is albino redtail.

If I have typos, it's because of my iPod I'm using, but my iPod usually does a good job with spell check. I'm not very familiar with the iPad. Never used one.

Any idea what would chew up my fancy guppys tail fin as well as my Beta fins? It seems to only happen at night. I have sat and observed the tank during the day and none of them attack them during the day. This is a new tank most fish are small.
Heres whats in the tank
Malawai cichlids
guppys
Neon tetras
One sword
Transparent cats
Danios
Clown loach
Albino shark
Algae eater
Thank you

I 100% guarantee that this is your problem. Malawi cichlids are not compatible with community fish. Malawi cichlids should be kept in a minimum of a 4 foot, 55 gallon tank IMO, with other Malawi cichlids.

severum mama said:
I 100% guarantee that this is your problem. Malawi cichlids are not compatible with community fish. Malawi cichlids should be kept in a minimum of a 4 foot, 55 gallon tank IMO.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I said something about the cichlid earlier, but as I said, I don't know much about the specific breeds. I have heard of some breeds being more... Docile. But as I said, I don't know much about them.

Like i said earlier i have observed them for a long time and havent seen them be agressive to any of the other fish. They are beautiful, if thats the case i will have to choose teh cichlids over the others, they are just cool and beautiful. The nipping took place overnite the tank is in my basement how do they even see each other to do that?

36 gallons is not large enough for Malawi cichlids.

Just because you don't witness aggression doesn't mean it isn't happening. I still 100% guarantee that your Malawi cichlids are the fin nippers.

Oh, oops. I'm used to calling other animals breeds. Okay, species. I'll try to remember to type that, so I don't get corrected.

Ok did 50% water change on 36gln bf tank this am and now the Nitrite is .25ppm.
I also added a new AC50 hang on filter with Purigen not the carbon that comes with it. I swear within 20 mins the water was clearer and looks awesome now the fish seem to float. I cut out the filter material from the Aqueon 30 cartridge and saved what I could of it and placed it in the AC50 along with the other materials to attempt to save the bacteria. It was plenty dirty.
I think I should wait till tomorrow to do another wc what do you guys think? I dont want to change too many variables all at once. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom