Something different, but is it safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diggy415

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the lake this weekend and there was tons of plants floating on the water. I had this idea for next time(depends on the feedback i get) to bring some home that have roots, soak them in regular tap water, transfer them to a plastic bag with some tank water and float them and see if they do ok before putting into tank. Yeah I know there are buga and what not, anyway of clearing them off without klilling the plant? Just a thought, couldn't keep store bought plants alive so i thought i would try this. We have no snails at our lakes either. But still the different bugs athat could harm the fish. Is it worth the risk? I would even set up a 10gl for pllants alone, thats a better idea still. Has anyone taken wild plants from a lake an suceeded?

What's the water temperature at that lake?
I suspect its far lower than typical tropical water temperatures, which means they are cool water plants and won't do well at 76degrees. They'll probably wilt and die.

The reason the store bought plants didn't last is probably because you don't have enough light. Wild lake plants aren't going to fare any better.

Living in Florida I collect and have collected plants from the wild for many years. The obvious percautions are, don't remove plants from National or State Parks, don't leave anything behind except your footprints, beware of harming or being harmed by other wildlife. Those things being considered, I also give my collected plants a bath in potassium permanganate. Since you are more concerned with bad bugs you could choose the Alum bath instead. Here's a webpage that describes how to do the dip/baths.

http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdipsbaths.htm

Im in Nrth calif near NV the water is warm and slightly cold but you get over it quick enough to enjoy the swim and want to stay in it all day. its just now getting warm for weeks at a time and then it turns back to windy overcast. prob 73* temps in the water

Back
Top Bottom