Something growing in my tank. Please help identify!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought mine online from CompuVisor.com for about $80. The Mac version of the software was an additional $8 (Windows software is free with the microscope), and shipping was about $11. The total was about $99, which isn't too bad for what you get. I do like the microscope; its cool seeing the magnified images on the computer screen and being able to take movies of the specimens (like a movie I made of my little Planaria oozing around).

EDIT: Ouch. The price has gone up! The microscope is now about $100! 8O

In the bottom of your picture you first posted, there is a striped...something there. Looks like it's almost under the rock. Looks like a nerite snail, and the white things looks EXACTLY like nerite snail eggs. Are you 100% sure you only have apple snails? And just out of curiosity what is that thing in the picture? ;)

It's not a fungus and I've never seen calcium deposits like that.

The stripped thing is my kulhi loach. I'm 99% sure i only have apple snails. i did use to have another kind of small snail that lived in the filter, but they laid jelly stuff with black dots in - nothing like this. i'll try find my brother's magnifying glass tomorrow and see if i can get a better picture to show what it looks like. Thanks for all those trying to help. This thing is growing all over and making the tank look bad but i dont know how to stop it.

------------------------------------
Edit:
Sorry, i forgot about this snail. It's a tiger nerite snail. I hardly ever see him and it's not that active. I did a search for nerite snails and their eggs do look just like this, thanks Devilishturtles.
However on the website i found it says they reproduce sexually, much like apple snails. But i have only ever had one of these and i got it about a year back. Can they store sperm this long?? Or can they mate with apple snails? The site also said they rarely hatch and it's been 6 weeks since the first of mine were laid, but i dont know how long they take.
Now the problem is what to do with them. They're a pain to remove and i cant get rid of the snail just because it's laying eggs :/ :?

Attachments

• img_1362a_194.jpg
    img_1362a_194.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom