Something I Am Sickened By

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarrKill

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so a few nights ago I joined the forum. Well, it send me on a crazy search to find pictures of all sorts of fish. And that I did. Little did I know what I would find out about the subjects in these photos. Tonight I was showing my mother the pictures I had recently gathered. I did a search on google, and found out some very sad and shocking news concerning the critters in the photos that I now had in my possession. The fish in all of these photos are supposed to be naturally see through. However, in the pictures, they are all nice and colorful. Being a novice to this hobby, what i found out just about had me in tears. These fish were dyed. I mean, they were different types of glass fish, that had been injected with carrcinogenic dyes, in what was described as a horribly painful procedure, then were being sold to unsuspecting fish stores or being sold by the cultivators for a nice profit. I was appalled. I could not believe that I almost went to my LFS and asked if they had any of these type of fish. Indeed they are wonderfully colored and intriuge the eye, but after having their protective slime coating removed by being dipped in some sort of acid bath, they are then jabbed with a needle repeatedly to inject the harmful dyes. If they are lucky enough to have survived this much shock to their small system, they are kept in medically treated waters while being cultivated and while being shipped the the LFS. Once there, they are put into the nice clear waters to be put on display for unsuspecting customers, almost like me. If they dont die before we purchase them, shortly after their homecomings, they will. If not then, all the dye begins to fade, the succumb to disease, and ultimately die a tragic, preventable death. While many of you that are more experienced in the fish hobby world may know this, I being a beginner, did not. I have kept the photos and links with the information that I have read, so that perhaps I can let others know, don't buy these fish!! It only contributes to their passing, and for their little relatives and friends to undergo the same abuse. This is clearly animal abuse. If you see these fish at your LFS, please tell someone about this horrible disaster. I cant think what would have happened, had I asked for some of those fish, and actually found them. We cant let it happen anymore. Its wrong.

Well first off let me say kudos to you for your research. Secondly good job on spreading the word. That is the most you can do. I would like to see you post links to the pictures and articles so we can make everyone aware. Good Job!! 100 kudos to you.

hmm. oh, i have them on my computer. not sure from which website they are each from. i will upload them to my geocities page and then link to them.

Hello Starrkill,

I deleted the 3 posts you were trying to delete. If you would like to post pictures you can put in the text you want in the quick reply, and then click on preview and when that screen shows up, you will be able to select the attachments and add them. Then when you are done click submit and the pictures will be in the post. Also, for more info click here

Kudos for trying :)

StarrKill, if it's any consolation to you, I have purchased "dyed" glass fish in the past from my LFS. As you had mentioned, the "color" does fade, but I have had succes in keeping them alive for several years.

aww man, stephanie, you have no idea how much that bugs me, ha. i am sorry i even read that. but really,really, good job on posting your thread, he is right. You did do a very good job. if i could, i would give you 1000 kudos. oh well thanx for making me and the rest of the world aware of this.

THe images above dont show up because of hot link protection. I am going to change it so they are not img tags but instead are links. TO view just copy and paste them in a new browser window.

As timbo said to attach a photo to your post you need to use the standard reply screen. At the bottom of the post you will see a buton that says Post Reply. There are many features in the standard reply screen that are not in the quick reply box.

BTW, another freshwater fish that is died are the painted glass tetras. These usually have a very distinctive color down the side.

At least this is what I was told a long time ago by a LFS worker.

Glad to see some of you new folks are learning some of the negative sides to this hobby.

Yeah, please dont buy dyed fish.

I've actually tried to order some plain glass fish from the lfs years ago, they could only get the painted ones. Still wouldn't mind getting a few if it would save thm from the dye process.

some organization like Peta should be told about this. Maybe it would help. Also tell about the bettas in cups. It wouldnt hurt. The least it would do is get more people aware of it and possibly prevent them from buying them, or make the people that inject them stop doing it out of fear of being discovered. *shrugs* just a thought.....

IMO PETA is a PITA.

Really if PETA had there way there would be no aquarists as keeping fish in 'small glas box's' would be aganst the law.

Really we can do the best by trying to educate the consumers who are just starting out. If there is no market for dyed fish then the supply will dry up aswell.

I agree, call me a total right winger but PETA is just a bunch of whining sissies. They would stop boats "disrupting the oceans natural waves" if they could.

lol. ok, **** Peta. Yeah, i tried to link to that petition, but my posts got all messed up. But, i did sign it.

Last weekend there were some PETA nuts at the dock i go to to go fishing, trying to get people to sign a petition to outlaw fishing, yes you read that right. I was furious, but walked away without saying anything. They WANT a reaction, and like confrontation, wasn't givin them the satisfaction. Wanted to throw them in the water soooooo bad, but thst's not me. As me and my fishin buddy were pullin away from the dock, we saw some folks we know (hard-core rednecks!) starting to give the PETA idiots a hard time. Not sure what happenned next, but I bet peta high-taailed it outta there!

Back on topic, dying fish is very cruel, please sign the petition, and don't buy painted fish!

Back
Top Bottom