Something in the water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I'm starting to notice a pattern here, and I want to make sure I'm not going nuts. When I changed my 30 gal tank to an African rift tank, I started using tap water again in my water changes, since I don't have to worry about low pH. I still use r/o water that I buy in Walmart in my new 10 gallon, which I made into a black water tank. I have had no losses in my 10 gallon (and it's way overstocked), but my cichlids are dying in the 30! I have taken good care of the water, and except for a bout with planaria caused by overfeeding, there have been no problems. Amm, Ites are 0, Ates topped out at 20 ppm, pH is 7.8. I still have to check my
gh, but I don't think that's the problem. I tested my tap water with all my available tests, but everything is low, gh is 11. I let my tap water run for 30 seconds or so, get it the the right temp, use a double-dose of amquel declorinater (one capful for 5 gal) and let it sit for 15 minutes. Is there anything in my water that could be killing my fish? I live in a very old apartment building, and I know we have old galvanized pipes, and sometimes the water comes out rusty. Should I stop drinking my tap water? I'm really considering using r/o water for my cichlids (well more than considering, most likely using with next week's water change)...what are the best buffers for cichlids?

Hrmmm. I also live in an old apt where the water occasionally comes out rusty, but have never lost fish to it (granted I don't do water changes when it does, but I'm guessing you don't either). I wonder if its something else? Not sure about a buffer, but if you're on a public water supply you may want to check its reports at the EPA site; you might come up with some info: http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo.htm

Sometimes there can be nasty stuff in the public water supply (lead, arsenic, mercury) that are in low enough concentrations that they it doesn't affect people...but could certainly affect a fish.

They have to report what's in there, though, so it might be worth snooping around for (maybe you don't want to drink your tap water after all! :lol: ).

I also live in an old building, and was originally filtering my water, since I know the pipes are old and probably lead....but it got to be too much of a hassle, so now I just use a dechlorinator that also pulls out heavy metals. (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Conditioner)

How do the fish look? Do they just up and die or do they look like they are suffering from some disease? When you set up the tank did you use any rocks that could possibly have metals in it, like rocks you collected, that could be leaching out a toxin into the water?

How do the fish look? Do they just up and die or do they look like they are suffering from some disease? When you set up the tank did you use any rocks that could possibly have metals in it, like rocks you collected, that could be leaching out a toxin into the water?

They look and act totally normal, and then they dissappear for a day or so, and then they die. I don't think it's the rocks, because the problem started happening before the rocks. When I first started the black water tank, I lost three cardinals in two days, and decided to switch to first distilled and then r/o water. I made the switch and didn't lose a fish for eight months--I didn't start losing fish until I introduced ich into the tank. The one cardinal that survived the ich massacre is still alive and kicking. It just seems like a weird coincidence that I switch back to the tap water and they start dying again. I use a brita filter for my drinking water, and I have to wash the top portion out every 2 weeks because a reddish film develops on it. I even give the cat brita water because of the disgusting film that forms in her bowl. The city water in this town is really gross!

you do use water declorinater, right???
Yes, I use amquel instant water detoxifier

There is a pinkish mold type organism that will grow in moist areas like toilet bowl rims, swimming pools and spas, and I can't remember the name of it, but it is relatively common. It may have been discussed on this board, also, can't recall. I do not think this is a factor in a healthy aquarium, as it lives above the surface of the water, usually. Also, it is not unusual to lose cardinals at all! They are extremely sensitive and are in fact hard to find here because the shops can't keep them alive, so don't go by just that incident. However, you do have something going on in your tank now. It is distressing, no doubt, and I wish I had some more ideas. I don't know how you will get to the bottom of it, either, but do examine your rocks if you collected them yourself.

I have read of others who have had strange things happen and it seems to be related to tap water. Some of the folk I talk to on wetwebmedia.com have been having major issues with their bettas. They all come down with velvet, even brand new fish in brand new tanks. The ONLY common factor is the tap water; they too have started using bottled I believe. Someone else on fishgeeks.com was having similar issues. If you want the link to the discussions let me know.

There is a pinkish mold type organism that will grow in moist areas like toilet bowl rims, swimming pools and spas, and I can't remember the name of it, but it is relatively common.
I don't know what it is, but it's nasty. It's not pinkish though, it's kinda rust color red. The water also tastes nasty unfiltered, like I'm sucking on a metal pipe. I'm wondering what the heck I was thinking when I decided to use tap water again.

Also, it is not unusual to lose cardinals at all! They are extremely sensitive and are in fact hard to find here because the shops can't keep them alive, so don't go by just that incident.

It just strange to me that three died right off, but once I changed to distilled/ro water, the remaining nine lived for eight months, and they didn't die until my stupid mistake of not using a QT (*smack* that was really :censor: dumb). And the fact that one survived the ich and is still alive and well in my 10 gallon...the tank I still use ro water in. BTW, I feel bad for him, and I want to get some neons (no more cardinals!) to keep him company, but I'll have to try and return my three hatchets and talking catfish. I'll give Petsmart back their ich :evil: .

The 30 gallon tank used to be set up as a black water tank--after the ich problem I
moved the survivors to a new 10 gallon setup, and converted the 30 gallon to an African Lake Malawi setup. I didn't add any rocks until I converted it to the Lake Malawi. My fish before I set up the tank as a black water were 2 gouramis, and they died...a betta died in the 5 1/2 gallon tank I set up using my tap water...and a 10 year old angel died (this was the last remaining fish in the tank when it was given to me). The only common factor, like alli said, is the tap water. I currently have 3 surviving yellow labs, but I hope to increase the number to 8 once I get my canister filter.

Question: why do the salty's always use ro water?

You're certainly making a good case for the tap-water hypothesis. Aren't the dechlor solutions generally supposed to remove other metals in the water? I believe mine does.

Sounds like you have really nasty water. Not uncommon, and sometimes this goes unchanged until somebody (with fish to lose) complains. Of course, you'd have to make a good case, but it sounds like you have really hard water if you have to scrub a film off of your Brita!!! Check the EPA site. Good call, AlliV.

Aren't the dechlor solutions generally supposed to remove other metals in the water?

I assumed so, but upon closer inspection of the bottle, it doesn't actually say it does. Here's a link for the stuff I use.

If you want the link to the discussions let me know.

Yes that would be helpful, thanks.

I did a search on google on Washington County water, and take a look at what I found:

Link 1
Ok, so they obviously don't know how to care for a goldfish. :lol:
Link 2
I found the numbers for my town's water. Can someone more knowledgeable then me on the subject take a look at this chart and see if they see any possible problems?

LOL damn, if they take care of the water the way they take care of that poor goldfish, you're in a LOT of trouble! I'm not sure if anything on the other site would be hazardous to fish; I also checked the EPA site for your water supplier ( http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/sdw_re...rce=Surface water &population=75000&sys_num=0 ) and things seem ok there...

Here's the link to the fishgeeks.com discussion; the link to the wetwebmedia.com discussion is in it as well: http://fishgeeks.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=113341&highlight=#113341

Hey...

I took a look at the water quality chart....only problem is that it doesn't give you the EPA or city/county guidelines, rather just tells you they aren't in violation.

The readings that caught my eye are fluoride, nitrate, and sulfate. The first 2, because they are at the upper limit of their detection range. The last one, because the level is sooo much higher at the one test site than the other.

Back
Top Bottom