Something is eating my Endlers Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriscatt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to keeping tropical fish, I was given a tank with a load of Endlers guppies in it. I have recently added 5 Glowlight Tetras, 5 Platys, 5 Neons, 1 Siamese fighting fish, 5 Swordtails, and 2 Albino coi. The man in the shop said that all of these would be fine with the guppies, but unfortunately something is attacking and killing the guppies. I have watched them, but not seen it happening, which fish would be doing this?
Please, help.

I would put my money on the swordtails. Though enders do not eat their fry, swordtails do eat their fry. I recommend getting floating breeder grass or seperating the endlers from the swords....

Last edited:
Welcome to AA by the way.... You will like it we hope.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I will try the floating grass, but the guppies that I found were not fry, they were adult and had no tails or fins, so something was obviously attacking them. My wife will be upset if I have to get rid of the swordtails. Oh well.

Chriscatt said:
Thank you for your prompt reply, I will try the floating grass, but the guppies that I found were not fry, they were adult and had no tails or fins, so something was obviously attacking them. My wife will be upset if I have to get rid of the swordtails. Oh well.

You could just expand your aquariums and get another. We call that MTS...Multiple Tank Syndrome.
What size tank do you have currently?

You say they had no fins or tails, could it be finely? A friend of mine had a betray recently that lost his fins n tail to it n found good info on the Google. Good luck

That's a lot of fish! What size tank is it? Has it been properly cycled? Do you test water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? What are the levels? What's your water change schedule? Just to rule out toxic poisoning that could be causing this issue.

If it is one of the fish you'll have to either rehome it or try separating it for a while into a breeder box, sometimes that calms them down. Or try changing around the decor in the tank to disturb territories that were claimed by the fish. It might also be the betta, I think they can be nippy at other fish with larger tails.

ok peeps I have thrown the smartfone in the trash, what I meant to say was fin rot on a betta fish not betray! Jeez. It lost all its fins and I think the info he got was it was pretty common maybe your fighting fish is a carrier? Isn't that the same family as bettas?

my money would be on overcrowding endlers are the smallest species in there therefore the weakest and easiest to bully ive seen it happen in other tanks with a mix of species

JoeBob said:
ok peeps I have thrown the smartfone in the trash, what I meant to say was fin rot on a betta fish not betray! Jeez. It lost all its fins and I think the info he got was it was pretty common maybe your fighting fish is a carrier? Isn't that the same family as bettas?

Siamese fighting fish are bettas. That's what we call them in australia. It's silly though. I'd much rather call them bettas. But if you go to a shop and ask for a betta you usually get a funny look. Lol.

Bettas will attack guppies because they confuse their fins for another betta. In cramped spaces, they will lash out at anyone.

Back
Top Bottom