Something’s wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Shouldn’t my sponge be a lot dirtier/grosser than this? The filter’s been running for 5 months, but the biomedia is from an old filter that ran for a year and a half. The tank is a 29 tall and I currently have 14 fish.IMG_8861.jpgIMG_8862.jpg

Shouldn’t my sponge be a lot dirtier/grosser than this? The filter’s been running for 5 months, but the biomedia is from an old filter that ran for a year and a half. The tank is a 29 tall and I currently have 14 fish.View attachment 308640View attachment 308641
What filter, could be you're doing it right by not overfeeding or the pump isn't strong enough to circulate the debris to pick up.

Somethings wrong, that's the first stop for water coming in. Bypass?

Idk why nor do I know how to fix it. I do have Purigen and biomedia in the same basket that sits right in front of the sponge. Could that be why the sponge is getting bypassed because the Purigen she biomedia is blocking it.

Fluval C4
You actually see the water moving through the filter since its a hang on tank type of filter. Is the water actually going through it and not over or around the filter pads and sponge? How have your water perameters been and how often do you do water changes. That filter is rated for up to 70 gallon tanks so you surface agitation should be fairly good.

You actually see the water moving through the filter since its a hang on tank type of filter. Is the water actually going through it and not over or around the filter pads and sponge? How have your water perameters been and how often do you do water changes. That filter is rated for up to 70 gallon tanks so you surface agitation should be fairly good.

When I took the sponge out of the filter there was water in that spot where it sits. I do weekly 25% water changes. I tested my water 2 weeks ago and ammonia and nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 5 and 7.5 (using Seachem Nitrites & Nitrates test kit).

When I took the sponge out of the filter there was water in that spot where it sits. I do weekly 25% water changes. I tested my water 2 weeks ago and ammonia and nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 5 and 7.5 (using Seachem Nitrites & Nitrates test kit).
Ok, you saw water where the sponge sits, but when it's running and you see the sponge, does the water go through the sponge or does it flow over or around it?

Ok, you saw water where the sponge sits, but when it's running and you see the sponge, does the water go through the sponge or does it flow over or around it?

Idk, it’s hard to tell. I took a video of the filter, but unfortunately we can’t post videos here so I can’t show you.

Here’s a video.

Idk, it’s hard to tell. I took a video of the filter, but unfortunately we can’t post videos here so I can’t show you.
Do you even see water running out of the filter and causing water surface movement across the surface of the tank.

Upload a video to YouTube and post link. Or watch a video of your filter in action. Somethings wrong if that pad is that clean after 2 weeks let alone months

Do you even see water running out of the filter and causing water surface movement across the surface of the tank.

Yes, water runs out of the filter creating some surface agitation.

The spreader plate on top is distributing the water just fine over the filtering media underneath. Thing Im wondering about is the water actually running through the sponge pads since the filtering is gravity dependant. If you take a similar sponge and put it under a running tap, a lo of the water runs of to the sides. But if you put a clean floss cartridge under the tap, the water runs straight through. But you say all water perameters are fine and the few small parts of your glass, water, and water that I could see looked clean. All I would say at this point is that if it works, don't gix it.

Back
Top Bottom