Something strange in my tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, lol. Even the algae breeds, LOL....

Well, this tank is actually algae free. It's never had it. 10G tank with 2 25W CF bulbs in this tank, and the plants are Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, some crypts, and another red plant that I have no clue what it is. Trying to bring it to life, as it was in sad shape when I got it from aquabid. Also got a little HC that's trying to get started as well, but with how everything has filled in, it's not spreading. I think I also have parrots feather in there too, but not real sure, they are just short stubs right now. The parent plant died off and I clipped off all the new growth that came from it with the roots and replanted all of them. It's a full, full tank, and no fish. Just dosing and have CO2 going into the HOB filter.

Edit:
Here's more pics....

10g137.jpg

10g138.jpg

10g139.jpg

These are some photos of the ones I captured in my tank. They breed so quicly you will have more that you can handle within a few weeks. My advice is not to tranfer any of the plants from this tank to any other. I don't know if they are harmfull or benaficial to a tank. They are more like leaches than worms. By the way, look at them closely, you can see their eyes.

worm1.jpg

worm2.jpg

worm3.jpg

Some info:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/worms.htm

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Platyhelminthes.html

Actually, the 2nd pic you posted there looks like it has a suction cup on it's head. That's not what mine looks like at all. It looks more like an earthworm or a red wiggler. Just smaller. And doesn't do any harm to the snails in the tank. and when looking closely, I don't see any eyes.

Edit:
I still don't see eyes, but I just saw one onthe glass. It's like it has suction cups on the head and tail, and walks across the glass, then goes back to swimming. Didn't realize how many I had, lol. Just in 1 short sitting, I saw about 7 all at the same time, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, the 2nd pic you posted there looks like it has a suction cup on it's head. That's not what mine looks like at all. It looks more like an earthworm or a red wiggler. Just smaller. And doesn't do any harm to the snails in the tank. and when looking closely, I don't see any eyes.

Edit:
I still don't see eyes, but I just saw one onthe glass. It's like it has suction cups on the head and tail, and walks across the glass, then goes back to swimming. Didn't realize how many I had, lol. Just in 1 short sitting, I saw about 7 all at the same time, lol.

That's the same worm. One photo was taken with a flash and one without. The photos were taken a few minutes apart. I was only able to catch them while swimming or on the glass.

I think it's more of a scavenger than a predator. The only problem I had with them was some of you younger molly fry would form huge distended stomachs. Like they had an alien life form in them. Their stomach would burst and I'd find them dead the next day. I have no idea if the condition was related to these little things or something else.

For every worm you see there are at least 10 you don't see.

Yes, WORMS, lol......

It's not as fun watching earthworms, red wigglers, etc. But these aquatic worms, well, they swim almost as fast as fish, lol. Very speedy, and go all over the place, lol.

Back
Top Bottom