Something to consider...seriously.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ironworker161

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
So, I see a lot of posts on here concerning water problems and water changes associated with that. So I'm going to make a suggestion that will help you keep your aquarium 100 times cleaner, while greatly reducing your work load and the cost of maintaining your aquarium. Over my 40+ years in this hobby I have slowly come to the conclusion that gravel substrates are the worst thing you can put in your aquarium. They do little for the biology of your tank and are basically traps for the extra food and secretions your fish make. So a few years ago I changed over all of my tanks to bare bottom and let me tell you I actually enjoy taking care of my fish again. No more constant vacuuming gravel in the exhausting effort to keep gravel clean, which as you know is an impossible task. Even if you think your doing a good job, your probably not getting all of the filth out of the gravel, which in turn is causing these poor water quality issues, high ammonia levels and sick fish. Since removing the gravel from my tanks I have not lost one fish. My tank maintenance is now about 10 percent of what it used to be. Now all I need to do is vacuum the tank floor once a week and I only change about 25% of the tank water once a month. And my readings are consistently safe. Not to mention the huge savings in my water/sewer bill. Which are a bit pricey in my area. Perhaps you've noticed that your local fish store doesn't use gravel in there tanks, and if you purchase your fish online you will notice no gravel in the photos of those fish, all because it is much healthier for the fish and less time consuming and more cost affective to maintain. As for the way a bare bottom tank looks, true it's not as pleasing as having a substrate, however I found that, that was more in my head than anything else, once I got used to it I found that it's not really a problem. You can purchase plants with a weighted bottom instead of the ones that stick in the gravel ( and don't stay there anyway). You can also place a few small stones on the bottom to give your fish something of interest. Anyway, think of doing yourself and your fish a favor, and go bare bottom. :). Have a great day guys.

Iron...

Good points. It's been my experience that the only thing this hobby requires to be successful, is the commitment to keeping the tank water waste free. As long as what's in the tank is recommended for aquarium use, it doesn't matter what the hobbyist chooses to put in it, bottom material or anything else. What does matter, is to commit to removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days.

Whatever is in the tank will eventually dissolve in the water. So, by simply removing most of the water every few days and replacing it with water treated to remove the chemicals the public water people put into it to make it safe to drink, the fish live in a balanced water environment.

Just remove and replace most of the water and do it regularly and you'll have no tank problems.

Thanks for your comments too!

B

enk...

Sand is fine for aquarium use. There are several that work well. Some I've found in my research are Silica, Black Beauty, Play sand and Coral. Sand is the natural environment for most freshwater aquarium fish anyway, so use it.

B

Although I've never used sand, I imagine it would be more compact and that debris would generally sit on top of it. So I would assume it would be good.

Also, this post wasn't meant as a bash on substrates at all. Just as advice for anyone who continually has issues with water quality. A thought of maybe trying a different way of doing things. If you find that what your doing works for you then by all means continue that...this method seams to work for me as at times my work schedule can be very busy and I don't always have time to dedicate to my tanks.

Although sand does not 'accumulate' as much debris as gravel have fun vacuuming it, or above it like everyone says they do?
If the debris does not stay in the water column and thus get removed by filter then it is on the keeper to remove. It will settle in sand just like gravel over time.
I have found superior quality , control and ease of maintenance much like OP.
I only have 2 tanks with sub and regret both ! BB tanks rule , potted plants and other hardscapes work great and are easily cared for also...Just a breeder who wants best for my fish though?

By the way fish poop ,uneaten food doesn't dissolve in water they stick to gravel.i have to siphon water every week

Good points bandit and Bro. I know I'm not alone on the bare bottom thing. Life is so much easier when your not fighting the loosing battle of vacuuming gravel.

Meh.. my sanded tanks do alright. I've found keeping certain bottom dwellers like Cory's and having good flow keeps.most waste heading to the filters. I agree gravel is a no no though, just a hot bed for nitrates..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Caliban07, you probably don't want to know what's happening in that scenario. Lol. It's beautiful , and if it's working, then keep it up. Nice tank. Have a great day.

Substrate is one of the least important factors in growing plants.

Can't have it all ban... the sacrifices we make for a planted tank. Plants process "some" waste so it's a wash imo..

I was just wondering if it was 100 times less clean than a bare bottom tank that has 25% water changes once every 4 weeks since in that scenario it was be a pig to get at the substrate.

Last edited:
You don't touch the substrate in something like that.. chances are their are a mess of shrimp in there that comb that grass after every feeding. You can certainly employ little creatures to tidy up a bit here and there.

Had to check out some of your posts due to those sick pics of that tank.

I couldn't agree more. A few years ago I got the bright idea of using really large stones for substrate. UGHHHH! To date it was the absolute most stupid thing I've done (tank wise). I'm going to try to post a pic so you can see what I did. I'm completely retarded when it comes to posting pics, so sorry if this gets weird...

100_0932_zpsk7daluur.jpg Photo by ajgokay | Photobucket

It's the large black rocks at the bottom. And yes, it was really just a pic of my kitten (who is fat and old now).

It appeared clean enough, but when I did a huge vacuum, I stirred up all this crap and killed half my fish. It was the hardest lesson I've had in fish keeping.

Since I love keeping a Geo in the tank, I've moved on to sand. As someone else stated, it does not trap bacteria the way gravel does. Now of course I'm inspired by the bare bottom. I can't go three months without copying someones tank.

Where the waste goes or gets processed and how quickly are what affects waste-induced water quality problems. If it's in gravel, sand, the filter or lying on the bare bottom doesn't matter if there's too much hanging around for too long.

Back
Top Bottom