Something will go wrong at the worst possiable moment!UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melody

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im leaving in less then 24 hours to go on vacation. I look at my big tank today, and notice one of my largest tiger barbs has something in/on its mouth... I look closer, and there is something wrong with its upper lip. I really cant tell very good, but it looks like its broken. I have a fair amount of aggression in this tank. Im thinking that he got chased, and ran into the glass, although hes the biggest barb (about 2 1/2 inches) and the peacock cichlid barely comes out of his cave. So what chased him, I havent a clue...
well anyways, He's getting picked on by all the other barbs, and Im moving him to my daughters 10 gal right now. What do I do with this fish. I dont have anyone to dose any meds to him. (that I trust) I dont want to leave him unchecked for a whole week... If he dies in any of my tanks, hes going to foul the whole thing up... any suggestions?
I would hate to even suggest it... but maybe euthinize? I dont know... I would hate to do that, He might heal, but theres no one to dose any meds to him. Do I have to "take one for the team"?

From the way you describe it, it certainly does sound like an injury. So long as the barb is eating and swimming normally, I wouldn't expect it to die. Perhaps you could dose the tank it is in with Melafix before you go - just to ward off an infection.

If the fish isn't eating or is acting abnormally, then it might have an infection. In that case, it would be best to put it in a tank by itself, so it doesn't pass it on to others.

All my tanks are running peacefully right now, *knocking on wood* I will be gone for a week! I am afraid he will develop an infection and kick the bucket... and throw the entire tank upside down... I do not have anyone to watch him. I cant move anyone around right now... my rams FINELY paired off, and I think are getting ready to spawn
otherwise I would put my 10 gal in with my rams...

If I dose once with Melafix ( I do have some) will that be enough to hold him over for a whole week?

If you have time, do a water change before you go. The clean water will help him too. I would go ahead and dose with Melafix before you go also. It won't hurt your biofilter or the other fish. I think the directions do say to dose every day for a week, but in your case, just put some in before you go and hope for the best. When you get back, prepare to do some extra water changes or use the Melafix again to get him well. But you could come back and see that everything is fine!

Well, I put him in my daughters ten gal. I just hope if he gets bad and dies... maybe it will be late in the week, so he wont mess up the water to bad...

I'll do a water change. Melafix and cross my fingers...

Well, I got back Sunday morning... and all was well with my barb. His nose was completly healed, and his tail was also (had a large chunk out of it)
Everyone was well, and the rams tank that I did the black out on now has some really gross slime (dead alge) and is in need of a good cleaning... (cant get this tank balanced for the life of me) :roll: I think Im over feeding... I cant tell... oh well, I'll get it figured out

Hi Melody! I hope you had a good time! The Weather Channel had a little spot on "Bike Week"!

I'm glad the barb is better. If the ram tank had lots of slimy dead algae, the blackout worked! Now just hold your nose as you clean it out!

Back
Top Bottom