Something wrong with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue_ice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Last week I got two 'yellow sunset swords' in addition to the red lyretail swords that I already had. As one can see from the pic below, one of the new fish has got a bulge on the tummy. Do you think there could be something wrong with it as the other one doesn't have the bulge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

img_611230_0_fd977b23dd4daff10da9c074854f56bd.jpg
[/img]

I had some problems viewing your pic but from what you are describing, she is likely to be ready to spawn. It's not unusual to buy livebearer's that are already pregnant.

Oh man.

I was hoping someone would say it ate a lot or something, because I have a green cory that's belly looks the SAME exact way.

I thought it was just a food junkie, but now I might have to look in another direction.

Ohhh noo.... what do I do now? Do I need to quarantine it? How long will it be before the young fish is born?

:?

PS Thanks everyone for replying.

Depending on what is in your tank you can just let nature take it's course. If you have plenty of places for the fry to hide they will hide. Otherwise you can mover her to another tank and once she gives birth move her back as she will also eat her fry.

Keep an eye on the cory, they aren't live bearer's so it may be something else wrong with the cory.

Zagz said:
Depending on what is in your tank you can just let nature take it's course. If you have plenty of places for the fry to hide they will hide. Otherwise you can mover her to another tank and once she gives birth move her back as she will also eat her fry.

Keep an eye on the cory, they aren't live bearer's so it may be something else wrong with the cory.

I just went and bought a breeding net... it's quite large for my 5-gallon tank. I have to work out a way to fit it.
http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1038&name=Marina+Fish+Net+Breeder

I'm not sure it's a cory.. the ID tag in the pet store says 'yellow sunset sword'... hmmm....

Do you have cories in addition to the swords? I would put in some cover for the fry rather than trying to fit the breeder net into a 5 gal. Live or fake plants that provide a lot of ground cover would be best.

Blue ice, i think Zags was speaking in regards to my cory =p

Zagz, that means the cory is an egg layer, correct?

blue_ice, if you aren't worried about the fry, or don't want them, simply let momma have her little ones in the open water. If you have enough plants, likely some of them will survive. I agree with Zagz about the breeder net. It can also serve as a stressor for the Mother. Feel free though to scoop some babies in there when you see them.

Cories are flat surface egg layers.

Mmm... I'm a bit worried now... cos the other fish (the yellow sunset sword) has a large tummy too. It can't be pregnant cos my red lyretails is a female. So what could be the problem?

Your other sword could be pregnant if it is female. They can come from the lfs pregnant and livebearer's store sperm for a few months so they don't necessarily need a male. The sunset sword, is it a female? In your pic above both the swords that aren't lyretails are female IMO.

She looks extreamly heathy to me, so do your other fish. It looks like they are doing great :p

To be honest, they get quite a bit bigger when they are about to give birth. I wouldn't be expecting any little ones for a few more weeks.

Zagz said:
Your other sword could be pregnant if it is female. They can come from the lfs pregnant and livebearer's store sperm for a few months so they don't necessarily need a male. The sunset sword, is it a female? In your pic above both the swords that aren't lyretails are female IMO.

Wow, I didn't know they can store sperm for a few months 8O

Well when I first bought the sunset sword I didn't know their sexes - you should know more than me :D .... they should be female then.

greenmaji,

Thanks 4 your opinion. Yes they seem to be healthy - movement looks OK and they are very aggressive during feeding time. I'm just paranoid cos 2 weeks ago (before I bought the sunset swords) I had a male lyretails that died. But that was a different story :cry:

Back
Top Bottom